This email was sent to all students registered for winter quarter.
Feb. 6, 2023
Quick Notes for the Week of Feb. 6
Upcoming Special Events
Black History Month Speaker: Author, attorney and activist Steve Phillips will visit campus on Tuesday, Feb. 7, to speak about anti-racist organizing and related topics during two events beginning at 9:30 a.m. and noon, co-sponsored by the Social Sciences and Humanities Division Momentum Series, the Foothill-De Anza Foundation and the Black Faculty, Staff and Administrators Network (BFSA). Learn more
Author Event With Tommy Orange: Pulitzer finalist Tommy Orange will visit a Puente Learning Community class via Zoom on Wednesday, Feb. 8, at 1:30 p.m. to speak about his award-winning novel, "There There." Orange is a featured author in this year's Silicon Valley Reads campaign. Everyone at the college is welcome to join this online session. Learn more
Village Spaces Grand Opening: Remember to drop by your Village Space on Tuesday, Feb. 14 from 12:30-2:30 p.m. for a Grand Opening with fun activities, snacks and prizes. Students who attend will be entered in a drawing to win one of six retro-style digital cameras – one for each Village – purchased with donated funds. Learn more
Run Hide Defend: Active Assailant Training
The district Police Department is offering a free, two-hour training for students, faculty and staff on how to protect yourself in the event of an active assailant. In-person sessions that were scheduled this week at the De Anza and Foothill campuses have been canceled, but the online session is still being offered.
- Wednesday, March 1, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. – online via Zoom
- Register in advance at deanza.edu/college-ops/emergencies/training.
Event Center Open Meetings
As part of the market analysis underway, the consultant for the Foothill-De Anza Community College District will conduct two open meetings via Zoom on Thursday, Feb. 23, to gather input on how to provide the most useful event center space possible.
One session will be oriented to De Anza students and employees, and one to the general community, but anyone is welcome to attend either meeting. Learn more at deanza.edu/measure-g/event-center.
Noon Session: Students and Employees
- Thursday, Feb. 23: Noon to 1 p.m.
- Join via Zoom
Evening Session: General Community
- Thursday, Feb. 23: 6 to 7 p.m.
- Join via Zoom
If you haven't already done so, you can still provide input by completing the survey for community and audience members, or the separate survey for event organizers and promoters, before the surveys close Feb. 28.
New Registration Interface for Students
De Anza and Foothill colleges have upgraded their online course registration system with a new interface that should make it easier to sign up for classes this spring. The upgraded system is live now, for students who may need to add or drop classes in winter quarter.
You can find a detailed user guide for the new interface at deanza.edu/reg-guide, and a new video will be released soon as part of the Video Help Series. You'll also soon be seeing a new icon for the Student Registration app in MyPortal, designed to be more eye-catching and easier to find.
CTE Dean Shares Tips for Job-Seekers
Randy Bryant, dean of Career Technical Education and Worforce Development, joined a panel of employment experts who shared tips for job-seekers during a Jan. 25 webinar hosted by Santa Clara County Supervisor Joe Simitian. Bryant appeared with representatives from NOVAworks Job Center and Sciton, a local medical technology company, in discussing effective strategies for finding meaningful employment. A video recording of the webinar and additional tips can be found on Supervisor Simitian’s website.
City Seeks Input on Memorial Park
The city of Cupertino is seeking input on plans for improving Memorial Park, located across Stevens Creek Boulevard from the De Anza campus. Learn more by visiting the project website or register to attend an online information session this Thursday, Feb. 9, at 7 p.m. You can also provide input by completing an online survey.
Financial Aid Workshops
The Financial Aid Office is hosting a series of workshops this month to help students prepare for the Feb. 18 scholarship application deadline and the March 2 priority deadline for completing the FAFSA or CADAA.
You can get help with applications and explore such topics as scholarships and financial wellness. Learn more at deanza.edu/financialaid/workshops.
Mark Your Calendar
Check the Events Calendar for additional details and more events.
- Student Athletes: Psychological Services support group – Monday, Feb. 6, 1-1:50 p.m.
- Student Elections: Information Session – Monday, Feb. 6, 2-3 p.m.
- Transfer Support: Psychological Services support group – Monday, Feb. 6, 2-3 p.m.
- Wellness Matters: HEFAS workshop – Monday, Feb. 6, 3:30-5 p.m.
- Drop-In Support Group: Psychological Services support group open to all students – Monday, Feb 6, 4-5 p.m.
- Anti-Racist Organizing: Dialogue with author Steve Phillips – Tuesday, Feb. 7, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Transfer Workshop: Common Application – Tuesday, Feb. 7, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Anti-Racist Organizing: Momentum talk with author Steve Phillips – Tuesday, Feb. 7, noon-1:30 p.m.
- LGBTQ+ Support Group: Psychological Services support group – Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2-3 p.m.
- Yoga and Mindfulness: Psychological Services group – Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2-3 p.m.
- Free Tax-Filing Assistance: available online – Wednesday, Feb. 8, 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Transfer Workshop: Associate Degree for Transfer – Wednesday, Feb. 8, 11 a.m.-noon
- Wellness Workshop: Zentangle Gathering – Wednesday, Feb. 8, 11 a.m.-noon
- Run, Hide, Defend: active assailant training – Wednesday, Feb. 8, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Mass Shooting Support Group: Psychological Services group – Wednesday, Feb. 8, noon-1 p.m.
- International Students Event: ISP Lunar New Year Celebration – Wednesday, Feb. 8, 1-3:30 p.m.
- University Representative Visit: Fresno Pacific University – Wednesday, Feb. 8, 1-2 p.m.
- Author Event: Novelist Tommy Orange – Wednesday, Feb. 8, 1:30-2:30 p.m.
- Transfer Workshop: UC Transfer Admission Planner – Friday, Feb. 10, noon-1 p.m.
- All About Scholarships: Financial Aid workshop – Thursday, Feb. 9, 10:30-11:30 a.m.
- Understanding Financial Aid Applications: Financial Aid workshop – Thursday, Feb. 9, 11 a.m.-noon
- Transfer Support: Psychological Services support group – Friday, Feb. 10, 2-3 p.m.
- Reception With the Artists: honoring featured artists in the “Spaces of Belonging” exhibition at the Euphrat – Saturday, Feb. 11, noon-2 p.m.
Tell us about your event! Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us.
Dates and Deadlines
- Last day to apply to run for DASG Senate or student trustee: Monday, Feb. 6
- Presidents' Holiday – no classes, offices closed: Friday-Monday, Feb. 17-20
- Last day to apply for scholarships: Saturday, Feb. 18
Visit the Academic Calendar page to see more important dates and deadlines by quarter.
- Academic Senate: Monday, Feb. 6, 2:30-4:20 p.m.
- Program Allocation Committee: Tuesday, Feb. 7, 10-11:30 a.m.
- Equity Action Council: Wednesday, Feb. 8, 3:30 p.m.
- De Anza Student Government (DASG): Wednesday, Feb. 8, 4 p.m.
Find more information about college governance at deanza.edu/gov.
Quick Notes is an email digest of timely information for De Anza students, faculty and staff. Watch for it in your inbox regularly.
Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us to let us know about an upcoming activity or other news that you want to share with the rest of the college community. That’s the best way to get your item on our radar for the website Events Calendar, newsletter and social media planning.
- Questions or feedback? Email us at email@example.com