This email was sent to all students registered for fall quarter.
Oct. 31, 2022
Quick Notes for the Week of Oct. 31
De Anza Photo Shoot: Open Call for Student Models
The De Anza Communications Office is looking for student models to participate in upcoming campus photo sessions on Wednesday and Thursday, Nov. 16 and 17. Any and all De Anza students are welcome. This is a great opportunity to have fun, meet other students and show off what's special about De Anza. If selected, your picture may be used in a variety of marketing or informational materials for the college. Visit the Student Photo Shoot webpage for more information on how to participate.
Rising Scholars Info Sessions
Rising Scholars is a new program that supports De Anza students who have been incarcerated or had other experiences with the criminal justice system, or who have been affected by a family member’s incarceration. The program includes specialized advising and other academic services, access to employment opportunities and other resources. You can learn more by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by attending an upcoming information session this Friday, Nov. 4 or next Thursday, Nov. 10. (Your information will be treated as confidential and only shared with the program coordinators.) For details, please visit deanza.edu/rising-scholars.
“Hamsters, Hedgehogs and Hummingbirds” Open Through Dec. 17
The Euphrat Museum of Art’s fall show, “Hamsters, Hedgehogs and Hummingbirds,” is now open. The exhibition explores how humans relate to, imagine and interact with animals. This exhibition includes a large-scale, raptor-inspired sculpture made from recycled tools, paintings of wild animals in human environments, a Huichol beaded jaguar with a colorful floor installation, beloved pet portraits, and ceramic and found-object works that reflect on how we view and impact the animal world. Visit the Euphrat website for museum hours and read more about the exhibition in the Mercury News.
Tomorrow: Champions of Higher Education for Excellence in Transfer Awards Ceremony
President Holmes will represent De Anza College tomorrow, Tuesday, Nov. 1, at 10 a.m. for this year’s Champions of Higher Education for Excellence in Transfer awards ceremony. The ceremony, hosted by The Campaign for College Opportunity, honors California community colleges and California State University campuses for success in expanding transfer opportunities for students. Register to attend the special online event via Zoom.
Next Week: President Holmes to Open Veterans Day Celebration
The Cupertino Veterans Memorial Foundation will host its first Veterans Day Celebration in two years next Friday, Nov. 11. President Holmes will open the ceremony which will be held at Memorial Park, across the street from De Anza College. Learn more about the event on the Cupertino Veterans Memorial website.
De Anza Votes!
Remember to vote! The ballot for the Nov. 8 general election includes statewide candidates for governor, U.S. Senate, attorney general and more, as well as important propositions and contests for local offices. You can begin voting as soon as you have registered and received your ballot.
- If you're registered to vote in Santa Clara County, you can drop your ballot in the official Ballot Drop Box on the De Anza campus. You'll find it on the sidewalk outside the RSS Building, near the entrance that faces Staff/Student Lot A.
- Or, return your ballot by mail – postage is free – any time up to Election Day.
- Or, vote in person at a county Vote Center near you.
Check the Events Calendar for additional details and more events.
- Transfer Center Workshop: California State University (CSU) Application – Tuesday, Nov. 1, 10-11:30 a.m.
- Career Services Workshop: Choosing College Major or Career – Tuesday, Nov. 1, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Dia de los Muertos: Altar Visits – Tuesday, Nov. 1, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
- Office of Equity Workshop: Bystander Training and Know Your Rights – Tuesday, Nov. 1, 4-6 p.m.
- Transfer University Meeting: UCLA Representative Visit (Virtual Appointments) – Wednesday, Nov. 2, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Psychological Services Session: Online Drop-In – Wednesday, Nov. 2, 11-11:45 a.m.
- Wellness Workshop: Zentangle Gathering – Wednesday, Nov. 2, 11 a.m.-noon
- Pride Center Event: Ayana "Yanni" Brumfield – Thursday, Nov. 3, 3:15-4:15 p.m.
- First Thursday: Open Mic Night – Thursday, Nov. 3, 5:30-7 p.m.
- Online Support Group: Transfer Support – Friday, Nov. 4, 2-3 p.m.
- First Saturday: De Anza Flea Market – Saturday, Nov. 5, 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Mentors @ De Anza Transfer Panel: University of California (UC) – Saturday, Nov. 5, 5-7 p.m.
- Transfer Center Workshop: University of California (UC) Application – Monday, Nov. 7, 12:30-2 p.m.
- Online Support Group: Transfer Support – Monday, Nov. 7, 2-3 p.m.
- Transfer Center Workshop: Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) – Tuesday, Nov. 8, 1:30-2:30 p.m.
- Mobile Food Pantry: Campus Visit – Tuesday, Nov. 8, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
Tell us about your event! Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us.
Dates and Deadlines
- Veterans Day holiday, no classes; offices closed – Nov. 11
- Winter registration opens based on Priority Registration group – Nov. 14
- Last day to drop classes with a W – Nov. 18
- Thanksgiving holiday, no classes; offices closed – Nov. 24-27
- Final exam week for fall quarter – Dec. 12-16
Visit the Academic Calendar page to see more important dates and deadlines by quarter.
- Administrative Planning and Budget Team (APBT) – Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2-3:20 p.m.
- De Anza Student Government – Wednesday, Nov. 2, 4 p.m.
- Student Services Planning and Budget Team (SSPBT) – Thursday, Nov. 3, 1:30-3 p.m.
- Academic Senate – Monday, Nov. 7, 2:30-4:20 p.m.
- Classified Senate – Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2-3:30 p.m.
- Equity Action Council – Wednesday, Nov. 9, 1:30-3 p.m.
Find more information about college governance at deanza.edu/gov.
COVID-19 Vax and Booster Required
To protect everyone's health, you must provide proof of vaccination AND a booster before coming to campus. Face masks are strongly recommended on campus, and may be required in some offices or by individual instructors in their classrooms. For more information, see deanza.edu/vax.
Free PCR Testing on Campus for Students and Employees
Free PCR testing is available three days a week during fall quarter, outside the Campus Center near the Student Health Services entrance on the lower level. No appointment is needed but one-time preregistration is required.
- Mondays and Wednesdays from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Visit the Health Services COVID-19 information page for additional details.
Quick Notes is an email digest of timely information for De Anza students, faculty and staff. Watch for it in your inbox regularly.
Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us to let us know about an upcoming activity or other news that you want to share with the rest of the college community. That’s the best way to get your item on our radar for the website Events Calendar, newsletter and social media planning.
- Questions or feedback? Email us at email@example.com