This email was sent to all students registered for winter quarter.
Feb. 27, 2023
Quick Notes for the Week of Feb. 27
New Course Registration Interface
Students can still use the old "classic" course registration system for spring quarter, but you also have the option to try the new interface that will replace the old system in future quarters.
Check out the complete user guide for the new system at deanza.edu/reg-guide or get in-person assistance from Enrollment Services experts – see the user guide for times and location. Watch for a helpful video, coming soon!
National College Health Assessment Survey
You can help De Anza plan future health programs for students – and enter a drawing to win an iPad or a Bookstore gift card. The National College Health Assessment survey is being sent to a representative sample of De Anza students over the next few weeks.
If you’re invited to participate, you will receive an email with a survey link and more instructions. Participation is completely voluntary and individual responses will be treated as confidential. Learn more at deanza.edu/healthservices/events.
Student Programming Club Proves Mettle
De Anza computer science students held their own against teams from leading four-year institutions during the Pacific Northwest Regional competition for the International Collegiate Programming Contest. Manish Goel, a Computer Information Systems instructor and adviser to the Competitive Programming Club, reported that three teams from De Anza participated over the weekend: One finished in the top 10 of its division for the six-state region, while another finished in the top 10 of its division for California.
The De Anza students were competing against teams from Stanford, the University of British Columbia, the University of California, Berkeley, and other top schools.
Run Hide Defend: Active Assailant Training
The district Police Department is offering a free online training session for students, faculty and staff on how to protect yourself in the event of an active assailant.
- Wednesday, March 1, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. – online via Zoom
- Please register in advance at deanza.edu/college-ops/emergencies/training
DASG Elections Open Through March 10
A candidate forum and debate will be held this Wednesday, March 1, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., in Campus Center Conference Rooms A&B. You can read the candidate bios and cast your ballot by March 10 at deanza.edu/studentvote.
Mark Your Calendar
Check the Events Calendar for additional details and more events.
- Power of Connection: Momentum Series event with author and artist Kenneth Tan – Monday, Feb. 27, 10 a.m.-noon
- Global Issues Conference: student-led conference on reparative justice – Monday, Feb. 27, 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Transfer Counseling: drop-in hours at the Business and Finance Village Space – Monday, Feb. 27, 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- University Representative Visit: San José State University – Monday, Feb. 27, noon-3 p.m.
- University Representative Visit: Fresno Pacific University – Monday, Feb. 27, 1-2 p.m.
- Student Athlete Support Group: Psychological Services group session – Monday, Feb. 27, 1-1:50 p.m.
- Drop-In Support Group: Psychological Services group session for all students – Monday, Feb. 27, 4-5 p.m.
- Transfer Counseling: drop-in hours at the Physical Sciences and Technology Village Space – Tuesday, Feb. 28, 12:30-3 p.m.
- Funding Your HBCU Education: transfer workshop – Tuesday, Feb. 28, 1:30-2:20 p.m.
- Free Tax-Filing Assistance: individual help sessions – Wednesday, March 1, 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
- ADT Application Clinic: transfer workshop – Wednesday, March 1, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Run, Hide, Defend: active assailant training – Wednesday, March 1, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Zentangle Gathering: wellness workshop – Wednesday, March 1, 11 a.m.-noon
- University Representative Visit: University of California, Santa Cruz – Wednesday, March 1, noon-3 p.m.
- California Dream Act Application: financial aid workshop – Wednesday, March 1, 4-6 p.m.
- University Representative Visit: University of Nevada, Las Vegas – Thursday, March 2, noon-1 p.m.
- California Dream Act Application: financial aid workshop – Thursday, March 2, 4-6 p.m.
- First Thursday: spoken word performances at the Euphrat – Thursday, March 2, 5::30-7 p.m.
- University Representative Visit: Texas Tech University – Friday, March 3, 10-11:45 a.m.
- Transfer Support Group: Psychological Services group session – Friday, March 3, 2-3 p.m.
- De Anza Flea Market: outdoor shopping, crafts and more – Saturday, March 4, 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
Tell us about your event! Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us.
Dates and Deadlines
- Last day to drop classes with a W – Friday, March 3
Visit the Academic Calendar page to see more important dates and deadlines by quarter.
- Art on Campus Advisory Committee: Monday, Feb. 27, 10-11 a.m.
- Academic Senate: Monday, Feb. 27, 2:30-4:20 p.m.
- Program Allocation Committee: Tuesday, Feb. 28, 10-11:30 a.m.
- De Anza Student Government (DASG): Wednesday, March 1, 4 p.m.
Find more information about college governance at deanza.edu/gov.
Quick Notes is an email digest of timely information for De Anza students, faculty and staff. Watch for it in your inbox regularly.
Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us to let us know about an upcoming activity or other news that you want to share with the rest of the college community. That’s the best way to get your item on our radar for the website Events Calendar, newsletter and social media planning.
- Questions or feedback? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org