Steps to Transfer From a U.S. School

If you are an F-1 international student and currently attending a language school, high school, college or a university in the United States, you must follow the steps below to transfer your SEVIS Record to De Anza College.

  • These steps apply to students who are currently attending, graduating or completing OPT as an F-1 student at a U.S. school.
  • De Anza College does not accept terminated/completed SEVIS records and can only issue an I-20 after the SEVIS record from your current school is transferred to us.

Complete the Online Application

Use the online application for international students. Do not use the OpenCCC application form that is designed for U.S. residents.

International Student Application Form

  • It takes at least 1-2 weeks to review your application after it is submitted.
  • You will be contacted by email if additional documents are needed. Please check your email inbox and spam filter frequently.
  • You can upload missing admission documents after your initial submission.

You will receive an acceptance letter once you are officially admitted.

Complete the De Anza Transfer Form

Once you are admitted, you'll find the Transfer Release Form on your admissions portal.

  1. Log on to the Admission Status Page 
  2. Download and complete the Transfer Release Form
  3. Download a copy of your acceptance letter (Admission Status > View Update)
  4. Provide the Transfer Release Form and acceptance letter to your current school so an administrator there can complete the Transfer Release Form
  5. Upload the completed Transfer Form back to your Admission Status Page
  6. Allow one to two weeks after your SEVIS record is transferred before your new I-20 is issued

It is your responsibility to ensure that your current school transfers your SEVIS record to De Anza. We will not follow up with your school on this process.

While You're Waiting for Your New I-20 

After we received the completed – and dated – Transfer Release Form, it takes about two to three weeks for De Anza to issue your new I-20 form.

Please notify us if you wish to travel OUTSIDE the United States before the quarter starts. If you leave the U.S., you will need the I-20 form from De Anza in order to return to this country.

Back to Top