Applying for Your F-1 Visa
Once you have received your Form I-20 – also known as a Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Student Status – from De Anza College, you will need to apply for an F-1 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country.
- Submit your F-1 visa application within 90 days of the reporting date that is typed on your Form I-20.
- You should enter the United States within 30 days of the reporting date on your Form I-20.
You will need to pay a Student Exchange and Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee and a visa application fee. You will also need to prepare documents and be interviewed.
If your visa application is approved, the U.S. embassy will place an F-1 visa sticker in your passport. You are now ready to purchase your airline ticket and make arrangements to attend De Anza College.
Documents You'll Need for Your Application
Some Things to Know About the SEVIS Fee
- All new F-1 students must pay the SEVIS fee
- If you have been absent from the U.S. for more than five months, you must pay the SEVIS fee
- If you are transferring from another U.S. school, you do not need to pay the SEVIS fee
- Dependents do not need to pay the SEVIS fee
Remember to print out your SEVIS fee receipt and keep it as proof of your payment. You will need to submit it with your visa application.
Be sure to contact the embassy or consulate where you plan to apply, so you can ask about any additional required documents and fees, and to schedule a visa interview.
Canadian citizens do not need to apply for a visa, but must pay the SEVIS fee and will need to show proof of payment at the place you enter the United States.