Independent Schools

There are more than 100 independent or private colleges and universities in California. They vary widely in size and mission. The majority are members of the Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities (AICCU).

Admissions Requirements

Requirements for admission, general education, majors and transfer will differ from one private institution to another. Preparing to transfer to an independent college or university requires careful planning and course selection.

Information about many private colleges and universities in California can be found on the AICCU website and at

Be sure to visit the admissions webpage for each school you are considering, to find detailed information about eligiblity requirements.

In some cases, you may be able to use the Common Application to apply to more than one school at a time. To learn more about this tool, visit these webpages 


You should consult with a De Anza College counselor or academic adviser as early as possible to confirm that your choice of classes meets your goals and transfer requirements.

Financial Aid Tips for Transfer Schools

Some transfer schools participate in the Western Undergraduate Exchange, also known as WUE or "woo-wee," which provides reduced tuition to eligible out-of-state resident students. Learn more about the WUE program.

General Education 

Some private California institutions and out-of-state schools may permit transfer students to follow a general education (GE) pattern of courses while completing admission requirements and lower-division prerequisites for a major.

Every transfer student's unique circumstances – including previous college coursework, major and choice of transfer institution – will determine which general education pattern or coursework will satisfy transfer admission requirements.

Select private California institutions accept coursework from the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern or the California State University General Education/Breadth pattern (CSU GE*) to satisfy all or a portion of their lower-division general education requirements. These institutions may require official certification of IGETC or CSU GE* in order to grant transfer credit.

You should contact the admissions offices of any private or out-of-state institution that you are considering

  •  to confirm whether they accept IGETC and CSU GE*
  • to determine how to fulfill GE requirements prior to transfer to the college/university.

* Note: The requirements for certification of CSU GE at De Anza are different from the requirements identified by the California State University system and the information published on Students must complete the CSU GE requirements stated in the De Anza College catalog, schedule of classes or this website, in order to qualify for certification of CSU GE by De Anza College.  

Back to Top