This email was sent to all students registered for spring quarter.
June 12, 2023
Quick Notes for the Week of June 12
Come meet Roary, our new mascot, for the first time ever at the 2023 Commencement! Say hi or take a picture with him on the red carpet to make it a truly unforgettable night. Be sure to keep an eye out for him at future events.
De Anza will hold its 56th annual commencement on Saturday, July 1, beginning at 4 p.m. in the Santa Clara Convention Center, 5001 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, California.
You can order your graduation regalia now. Grad Packs — which include a graduation gown, cap, tassel and diploma cover — and affinity stoles are available for purchase online at deanzastore.com. Items can be picked up at the campus Bookstore or shipped to you directly – a tracking email will let you know when your regalia has arrived. You should order online by TODAY, Monday, June 12, to receive regalia in time for graduation. Otherwise, you can shop for your regalia in store.
Remember: You must apply for your degree no later than Wednesday, June 21, if you want to have your name included in the printed graduation program. You can apply by submitting the online form to the Admissions and Records Office.
Upcoming end-of-year celebrations: See listings below and find more information at deanza.edu/graduation/celebrations.
Graduation Cap Decorating
Attend a graduation cap decorating session today through Thursday. Hosted by EOPS, General Counseling and Advising, International Student Programs, the Transfer Center and the De Anza College Bookstore, these sessions allow students to get creative and prepare for graduation:
- Monday, June 12, from 9 a.m.-noon
- Tuesday, June 13, from 9 a.m.-noon
- Wednesday, June 14, from noon-3 p.m.
- Thursday, June 15, from noon-3 p.m.
Art supplies will be provided, and you can also bring your own. Please RSVP in advance as space is limited.
Pride and Trans Flag Photos
View photos of the Pride and Trans Flag Raising at deanza.edu/pride/flag.
Thank you to everyone who helped make the event possible. Check out the Pride Center webpage for more information and events.
Awards and Honors
De Anza student athletes are ending the year on a high note:
- Courtney Seljeseth won three gold medals at the state Swimming and Diving championships last month and was named Female Co-Swimmer of the Year by the California Community College Athletic Association. Seljeseth is transferring to UCLA on a full-ride scholarship.
- Travis Martin won a gold medal in the hammer throw during the state Track and Field championships. Martin is transferring to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo on a full-ride scholarship as well.
- The women’s Badminton team won their second consecutive state championship – and completed their second consecutive undefeated season – by defeating Pasadena City College 11-0 in the finals. Sophomore player Madison Moe also won the state singles championship. She’ll be transferring to San Diego State this fall.
Check the Events Calendar for additional details and more events.
Be sure to check these program websites for:
- Psychological Services workshops and support groups
- Student Success Center academic skills workshops
- Transfer Center workshops and university representative visits
You can also check the Events Calendar for additional events and details.
- Library Book Sale: used books for sale – through the end of spring quarter
- Graduation Cap Decorating: General Counseling event – Monday, June 12, 9 a.m.-noon
- Mini Flea Market: open to students and college employees only; visit the Main Quad for a smaller version of the monthly DASG Flea Market – Tuesday, June 13, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
- Graduation Cap Decorating: General Counseling event – Tuesday, June 13, 9 a.m.-noon
- La Cultura Cura: MOMENTUM series event with Alicia Cortez, dean of Equity and Engagement – Tuesday, June 13, noon-2 p.m.
- EOPS Scholars Celebration – Tuesday, June 13, 1-3 p.m.
- International Student Programs Celebration – Tuesday, June 13, 1-3 p.m.
- Art in Classrooms Paint and Sip: poster making event – Tuesday, June 13, 2-4 p.m.
- Graduation Cap Decorating: General Counseling event – Wednesday, June 14, noon-3 p.m.
- Humanities Mellon Scholars: information session – Wednesday, June 14, noon-1 p.m.
- Math Performance Success Celebration – Wednesday, June 14, noon-1:30 p.m.
- Leading Change Together: MOMENTUM series event with Elvin T. Ramos, dean of Social Sciences and Humaniites – Wednesday, June 14, noon-2 p.m.
- Equity Champion Awards – Wednesday, June 14, 2:30-4 p.m.
- First Year Experience Award Ceremony – Wednesday, June 14, 6-8 p.m.
- Graduation Cap Decorating: General Counseling event – Thursday, June 15, noon-3 p.m.
- EOPS End-of-Year Celebration – Thursday, June 15, 2-4 p.m.
- Humanities Mellon Scholars: information session – Thursday, June 15, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- Social Sciences and Humanities End-of-Year Celebration – Thursday, June 15, 6-7:00 p.m.
- Student-Athlete Award Ceremony – Thursday, June 15, 6-7:30 p.m.
- VIDA Public Policy Internship: apply by Friday, June 16
- Black Graduation and Achievement Celebration – Friday, June 16, 5-8 p.m.
- Child Development and Education Celebration – Saturday, June 17, 10 a.m.-noon
- Financial Aid 101: online workshop – Tuesday, June 20, 10-11 a.m.
- Transfer Achievement Celebration – Wednesday, June 21, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Lavender Graduation – Wednesday, June 21, 6:30-9:30 p.m.
- Art in Classrooms Initiative Submissions: send your poster by Friday, June 23, at noon
- Student Success Center Picnic: – Friday, June 23, 12:30-3:30 p.m.
- Latinx Graduation Celebration – Friday, June 23, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Tell us about your event! Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us.
Dates and Deadlines
- Juneteenth Holiday: no classes and offices closed – Monday, June 19
- Final Exams – Monday, June 26 - Friday, June 30
- Resource Allocation and Program Planning: Tuesday, June 13, 10-11:25 a.m.
- DASG Senate: Wednesday, June 14, 4 p.m.
- Budget Advisory Committee: Thursday, June 15, 3-4:30 p.m.
Learn more about college governance at deanza.edu/gov.
Quick Notes is an email digest of timely information for De Anza students, faculty and staff. Watch for it in your inbox regularly.
Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us to let us know about an upcoming activity or other news that you want to share with the rest of the college community. That’s the best way to get your item on our radar for the website Events Calendar, newsletter and social media planning.
- Questions or feedback? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org