This email was sent to all students registered for spring quarter.
May 30, 2023
Quick Notes for the Week of May 29
Mark Your Calendar
Pride Center Events
Please join us for the Pride and Trans Flag Raising event this Monday, June 5, from 10-11 a.m., in the Main Quad to celebrate Pride month.
Attendees will be joined by members of De Anza's LGBTQ+ community, includng students and allies, along with civic leaders including Cupertino Mayor Hung Wei and Councilmember J.R. Fruen.
Everyone is also welcome to attend the Queer & Now Conference the following day – Tuesday, June 6. This year’s theme is “Be Unapologetically You.” Learn more at deanza.edu/pride/queer-and-now.
Awards and Honors
CIS Students Compete in National Coding Championship
Ralph Cao, Ji-yoo Dojun and Sunho Kim represented De Anza as the only community college team that qualified for this prestigious event, which drew teams from MIT, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cal Tech and other top universities. The Mountain Lion team finished in the middle of the field and earned an honorable mention for what team adviser Manish Goel, a De Anza Computer Information Systems instructor, called “a tremendous performance.”
New Graduation Date and Upcoming End-of-year Celebrations
De Anza will hold its 56th annual commencement on Saturday, July 1, beginning at 4 p.m. in the Santa Clara Convention Center, 5001 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, California.
You can order your graduation regalia now. Graduation Packs — which include a graduation gown, cap, tassel and diploma cover — and affinity stoles are available for purchase online at deanzastore.com. Items can be picked up at the campus Bookstore or shipped to students directly. You should order online by June 12 to receive regalia in time for graduation.
Remember: In order to graduate, you must apply for a degree by submitting the online form to Admissions and Records.
Upcoming end-of-year celebrations:
- IMPACT AAPI celebration – Wednesday, May 31, 4-6 p.m.
- ¡LEAD! and Puente Celebration – Thursday, June 1, 4-6 p.m.
- Film/TV Department Annual Student Film and Video Show – Friday, June 2, 7-9 p.m.
Check the end-of-year celebrations webpage for more information.
Check the Events Calendar for additional details and more events.
Be sure to check these program websites for:
- Psychological Services workshops and support groups
- Student Success Center academic skills workshops
- Transfer Center workshops and university representative visits
You can also check the Events Calendar for additional events and details.
- Police-Community Town Hall: event with Foothill-De Anza District Police – Wednesday, May 31, noon-2 p.m.
- Financial Aid 101: online workshop – Wednesday, May 31, 2:30-3:30 p.m.
- Alternative Academic History Career Paths: MOMENTUM series event with senior program officer Hadassah Saint-Hubert – Wednesday, May 31, 2:30-4 p.m.
- IMPACT AAPI Celebration: end-of-year celebration – Wednesday, May 31, 4-6 p.m.
- Ethnic Studies Summit: Intercultural and International Studies event – Thursday, June 1, 11:45 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
- Student Equity Partners: spring 2023 meeting – Thursday, June 1, 2-4 p.m.
- ¡LEAD! and Puente Celebration: end-of-year celebration – Thursday, June 1, 4-6 p.m.
- Your Phone – Friend or Foe?: MOMENTUM series event with cybersecurity expert Sandra Estok – Friday, June 2, 9:30-11 a.m.
- Student Film and Video Show: Film/TV Department event – Friday, June 2, 7-9 p.m.
- De Anza Flea Market: DASG-sponsored outdoor market – Saturday, June 3, 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Pride and Trans Flag Raising: Pride Center event – Monday, June 5, 10-11 a.m.
- Courage, Heart and Legacy: MOMENTUM series event with Vice President of Instruction Christina Espinosa-Pieb – Monday, June 5, noon-2:30 p.m.
- Queer and Now Conference: Pride Center event – Tuesday, June 6, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Honey Mahogany: Queer & Now keynote speaker and MOMENTUM series event – Tuesday, June 6, 11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
- Why Major in Philosophy? What Good is Philosophy?: information session – Tuesday, June 6, 1-2:30 p.m.
- Heritage Month Workgroup: planning session – Wednesday, June 7, 1:30-3 p.m.
- De Anza Student Recognition Gala: end-of-year celebration – Wednesday, June 7, 4-6 p.m.
- Run, Hide, Defend: Active Assailant Training: Foothill-De Anza district police event – Thursday, June 8, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Unbreakable Power: Hope and Solidarity In Times of Adversity: HEFAS annual summit – Friday, June 9, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Tell us about your event! Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us.
- DASG Senate: Wednesday, May 31, 4 p.m.
- Technology Committee: Thursday, June 1, 1:30-3 p.m.
- Budget Advisory Committee: Thursday, June 1, 3-4:20 p.m.
Learn more about college governance at deanza.edu/gov.
Quick Notes is an email digest of timely information for De Anza students, faculty and staff. Watch for it in your inbox regularly.
Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us to let us know about an upcoming activity or other news that you want to share with the rest of the college community. That’s the best way to get your item on our radar for the website Events Calendar, newsletter and social media planning.
- Questions or feedback? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org