This email was sent to all students registered for spring quarter.
May 1, 2023
Quick Notes for the Week of May 1
New E-Bike Rental Program
De Anza Student Government (DASG) and the Office of College Life will officially launch the new e-bike rental program on campus with a ribbon-cutting ceremony this Wednesday, May 3, beginning at 2 p.m. in the Fireside Room in the Campus Center. The DASG now has 23 new e-bikes available for students to borrow without charge, thanks to generous donations by the Rotary Club of Cupertino and its Climate Action Committee, BQuest Foundation and the Foothill-De Anza Foundation Chancellor’s Circle.
The new e-bikes, along with regular bikes, can be borrowed by eligible students for a quarter or full academic year. The e-bikes were assembled and tested by Community Cycles. More information and the application form to borrow a bicycle or e-bike can be found on the DASG Bike Program website.
Awards and Honors
2023 Equitable Course Placement Awards
De Anza has earned statewide recognition for its efforts to support students in taking and completing transfer-level English and math courses. The honor comes from the Campaign for College Opportunity, a nonprofit advocacy group, which named De Anza a 2023 Champion for Excelling in Equitable Course Placement.
De Anza ranked in the top three among California community colleges for the percentage of students who successfully completed transfer-level Math courses within one year of enrollment, according to the group’s findings. The group also found that 100% of Black studenta were able to enroll directly into transfer-level English courses, under placement policies that are designed to support students in achieving their educational goals.
Film/TV Alum Selected for Sundance Program
Film/TV alum Sean Wang has been selected for the highly competitive 2023 Sundance Director and Screenwriters Lab. Wang, who graduated from De Anza in 2014, is among 12 artists who were chosen and joins an esteemed list of Sundance Institute Lab Fellows, such as Quentin Tarantino, Wes Anderson, and recent Oscar winners Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert (aka "The Daniels"). Wang graduated from USC’s School of Cinematic Arts in 2016 and won the Documentary Short Jury Award and Audience Award for his 2023 film "Nǎi Nai & Wài Pó" at the South by Southwest film festival.
Events This Week
Check the Events Calendar for additional details and more events.
- Transfer Hours at the Artistic Expression Village: transfer counseling – Monday, May 1, 11 a.m-12:30 p.m.
- Transfer Support Group: support for students applying to transfer – Monday, May 1, 2-3 p.m.
- Filipinx, Pacific Islander and Southeast Asian Empowerment Conference: high school empowerment conference – Tuesday, May 2, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Samuel Merritt University: representative visit – Tuesday, May 2, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
- UC Riverside: Winter 2024 TAG workshop – Tuesday, May 2, 11 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Illinois Institute of Technology: representative visit – Wednesday, May 3, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- International Student Transfer Fair: transfer fair with over 40 universities, open to all – Wednesday, May 3, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Free Tax Filing Assistance: individual online help – Wednesday, May 3, 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Career Workshop: resume writing – Wednesday, May 3, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 a.m.
- Growth Mindset for Hybrid Learning: Student Success Center workshop – Wednesday, May 3, 11:30 a.m.-12:20 p.m.
- The Writing Process: Prewriting: Student Success Center workshop – Wednesday, May 3, 3:30-4:20 p.m.
- UC Santa Cruz: representative visit – Thursday, May 4, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- World Languages Mixer: Language and Communication Village Event – Thursday, May 4, 12-1:30 p.m.
- Managing Stress: Student Success Center workshop – Thursday, May 4, 12:30-1:20 p.m.
- Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADT) Workshop: Transfer Center Workshop – Thursday, May 4, 1-2:30 p.m.
- Reading Strategies: Student Success Center workshop – Thursday, May 4, 1:30-2:30 p.m.
- Using Quotes: Student Success Center workshop – Thursday, May 4, 3:30-4:20 p.m.
- First Thursday: open mic night with featured guest Monica Korde – Thursday, May 4, 5:30-7 p.m.
- Online/Hybrid Learning Tips and Tricks: Student Success Center workshop – Friday, May 5, 10:30-11:20 a.m.
- Anti-Procrastination: Student Success Center workshop – Friday, May 5, 11:30 a.m.-12:20 p.m.
- Transfer Support Group: support for students applying to transfer – Friday, May 5, 2-3 p.m.
- De Anza Flea Market: flea market – Saturday, May 6, 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Mexican American Rights Scholar Talk and Mini-Documentary: California History Center event – Saturday, May 6, 1-3:30 p.m.
Tell us about your event! Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us.
Learn more about college governance at deanza.edu/gov.
Quick Notes is an email digest of timely information for De Anza students, faculty and staff. Watch for it in your inbox regularly.
Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us to let us know about an upcoming activity or other news that you want to share with the rest of the college community. That’s the best way to get your item on our radar for the website Events Calendar, newsletter and social media planning.
- Questions or feedback? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org