This email was sent to all students registered for fall quarter.
Nov. 15, 2022
Quick Notes for the Week of Nov. 14
This Week: De Anza Photo Shoot
There's still time to sign up to participate in upcoming campus photo sessions this Wednesday and Thursday, Nov. 16 and 17. Any and all De Anza students are welcome. This is a great opportunity to have fun, meet other students and show off what's special about De Anza. If selected, your picture may be used in a variety of marketing or informational materials for the college. Visit the Student Photo Shoot webpage for more information on how to participate.
Apply to Join the Humanities Mellon Scholars Program this Winter
The Humanities Mellon Scholars Program is accepting applications for winter 2023 through Nov. 27. This transfer support program and learning community is designed for students who want to build a strong foundation in the humanities to support the major of your choice. The program offers each participating student a designated faculty adviser, a paid internship for up to four academic quarters, financial help for textbooks, invitations to workshops and social events, and much more. It also guarantees admission to the University of San Francisco (USF), provided that you meet eligibility requirements. Want to learn more? Attend an orientation session either today, Tuesday, Nov. 15, or tomorrow Wednesday, Nov. 16. Visit the Humanities Mellon Scholars website for more information, Zoom links for the orientation sessions and the application form.
Rising Scholars Program
Rising Scholars is a new program that supports De Anza students who have been incarcerated or had other experiences with the criminal justice system, or who have been affected by a family member’s incarceration. The program includes specialized advising and other academic services, access to employment opportunities and other resources. You can learn more by emailing email@example.com. For details, please visit deanza.edu/rising-scholars.
Awards and Achievements
A group of De Anza Business students have been recognized for outstanding work in case study competitions hosted by the California Future Business Leaders of America Collegiate Division. Han Htun, Ashley Vuong and Caitlyn Richardson were awarded second place in the Sustainability Goals for Firms Case Study competition. Htet Myat Lin Tun, Yankee Chou, Reeya Randhawa and Britney Calimlim took third place in the Business Management Case Study Competition.
Check the Events Calendar for additional details and more events.
- "Run, Hide, Defend": Active Assailant Training Session – Tuesday, Nov. 15, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- De Anza Student Government: Fall Informational Session – Tuesday, Nov. 15, 11 a.m.-noon
- Transfer University Meeting: Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) – Tuesday, Nov. 15, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Humanities Mellon Scholars Program Orientation: Informational Session – Tuesday, Nov. 15, 5-6 p.m.
- Psychological Services Session: Online Drop-In – Wednesday, Nov. 16, 11-11:45 a.m.
- Wellness Workshop: Zentangle Gathering – Wednesday, Nov. 16, 11 a.m.-noon
- Student Voices: Women's Uprising in Iran – Wednesday, Nov. 16, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Humanities Mellon Scholars Program Orientation: Informational Session – Wednesday, Nov. 16, noon-1 p.m.
- De Anza Student Government: Fall Informational Session – Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2:30-3:30 p.m.
- Health Services Tabling Event: Great American Smokeout – Thursday, Nov. 17, 9 a.m.-noon
- De Anza Student Government: Fall Informational Session – Thursday, Nov. 17, 1-2 p.m.
- Online Support Group: Transfer Support – Friday, Nov. 18, 2-3 p.m.
- Transfer Center Workshop: California State University (CSU) Application Clinic – Monday, Nov. 21, noon-2 p.m.
- Online Support Group: Transfer Support – Monday, Nov. 21, 2-3 p.m.
- Transfer Center Workshop: University of California (UC) Application Clinic – Tuesday, Nov. 22, 10 a.m.-noon
- Mobile Food Pantry: Campus Visit – Tuesday, Nov. 22, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
Tell us about your event! Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us.
Dates and Deadlines
- Last day to drop classes with a W – Nov. 18
- Thanksgiving holiday, no classes; offices closed – Nov. 24-27
- Final exam week for fall quarter – Dec. 12-16
Visit the Academic Calendar page to see more important dates and deadlines by quarter.
- Instructional Planning and Budget Team – Tuesday, Nov. 15, 4-5 p.m.
- Equity Action Council – Wednesday, Nov. 16, 1:30-3 p.m.
- De Anza Student Government – Wednesday, Nov. 16, 4 p.m.
- Student Services Planning and Budget Team – Thursday, Nov. 17, 1:30-3 p.m.
- College Council – Thursday, Nov. 17, 3:30-5 p.m.
- Academic Senate – Monday, Nov. 21, 2:30-4:20 p.m.
Find more information about college governance at deanza.edu/gov.
COVID-19 Vax and Booster Required
You must provide proof of vaccination AND a booster before coming to campus. Face masks are strongly recommended on campus, and may be required in some offices or by individual instructors in their classrooms. For more information, see deanza.edu/vax.
Free PCR Testing on Campus for Students and Employees
Free PCR testing is available two days a week during fall quarter, outside the Campus Center near the Student Health Services entrance on the lower level. No appointment is needed but one-time preregistration is required.
- Mondays and Wednesdays from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Visit the Health Services COVID-19 information page for additional details.
Quick Notes is an email digest of timely information for De Anza students, faculty and staff. Watch for it in your inbox regularly.
Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us to let us know about an upcoming activity or other news that you want to share with the rest of the college community. That’s the best way to get your item on our radar for the website Events Calendar, newsletter and social media planning.
- Questions or feedback? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org