Become an SSC Tutor
The Student Success Center is the largest employer of students at De Anza. Working as a tutor is a great experience: you improve your communication skills, deepen your understanding of the subject you tutor, have fun and make great friends, and earn money in the process.
Interested? Please complete an application below for the SSC area where you would like to tutor.
To Be Employed as an SSC Student Tutor, You Must
- have De Anza College selected as your main campus and be registered at De Anza and/or Foothill for at least 12 units, regardless of your residency status; or you are funded by Federal Work Study or CalWorks and are enrolled in 6 or more units;
- have completed each subject you wish to tutor with a grade of B or better;
- have a recommendation from your instructor;
- have an cumulative GPA of at least 3.0;
- have less than 180 FHDA attempted units prior to last term of employment.
- Beginning July 1, 2021, new SSC tutors are hired as Student Assistant II at $19.42/hour.
- All students working in the SSC go through the hiring process and are paid. Community (non-student) volunteers are always welcome!
- For details on current payrates and student employment policies and procedures, see the Financial Aid –Student Jobs webpage.
Hiring Timeline & Process
- Tutors are hired on a rolling basis, with most interviews and selection taking place at the end of the quarter before hiring--please apply by week 10 of the quarter prior to beginning work, or in Summer quarter for Fall. Apply early for the best chance of being hired for next quarter. Applications submitted at other times will be saved for future opportunities.
- Spring hiring is usually limited to those students who are not graduating and who plan to be enrolled at De Anza and continue tutoring into the next academic year.
- If selected as a potential tutor, an SSC staff member will contact you and schedule a Zoom interview, where you may be asked to complete a task to assess your skills.
- We recieve many applications each quarter, and hire based on our program needs. If you do not hear back, feel free to reach out for a status update. We do keep all applications on file for future opportunities.
- Beginning Fall 2022, tutors are expected to tutor on campus during the on-campus hours for that area, as arranged with supervisors. Zoom tutoring hours may also be available.
If You Would Like To Become a De Anza Tutor
Understand that becoming a tutor is a commitment. Most areas require a minimum of eight hours or work per week (actual hours assigned vary by area), you must complete an LRNA tutor training course during your first quarter of employment and be able to attend all on-going tutor training sessions. Services are offered both on-campus and via Zoom, so potential tutors should be willing to work in both modes. Please read the Training and Meetings pages carefully, and note all meeting times so you can be realistic about the time required and confirm that you are able to attend the required sessions. Please complete the application below for the area you'd like to tutor.
- To apply to be a Writing & Reading Center tutor
- Complete the WRC New Tutor Application
- Ask your instructor to complete the EWRT or ESL (Writing & Reading) Faculty Recommendation form.
- To apply to be a Listening & Speaking Center Tutor
Ask your instructor to complete the appropriate online letter of recommendation:
- Complete the LSC New Tutor Application.
- Ask your instructor to complete the ESL (Listening & Speaking) or World Languages Faculty Letter of Recommendation form.
- To apply to be a General Subjects tutor
- Complete the General Subject New Tutor Application
- Ask your instructor to complete the Faculty Letter of Recommendation form.
- To apply to be a Math/Science tutor
- Fill out the MSTRC Application.
- Ask a faculty member to submit a Faculty Letter of Recomendation.
- If you have questions regarding to being a Math/Science tutor or if you want to check status or update your application, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Online applications from the links above will be sent directly to the center. Please note that email is the best way to contact us.
General Subjects Tutoring Center (Accounting, Economics, etc.)
Pablo Hernandez, Instructional Support Coordinator, ATC 304, 408.864.8852, email@example.com
Listening & Speaking Center (World Languages, Community Volunteers and Student Assistant Opportunities) Kanako Suda, Instructional Support Coordinator, ATC 313, 408.864.5385, firstname.lastname@example.org
Math, Science & Technology Resource Center For more information see https://www.deanza.edu/studentsuccess/mstrc/ and scroll down for staff contact information
Writing & Reading Center Victoria Kahler, Instructional Support Coordinator, ATC 309, 408.864.5753, email@example.com
If You Are Hired as a Tutor
- Complete an employment packet and submit to the Financial Aid office, lower floor of the Campus Center. Packets are available at the Financial Aid office or downloadable from the Financial Aid –Student Jobs webpage.
- Enroll in the appropriate tutor training course.
- Attend a New Tutor Orientation to understand our policies and procedures.
- Attend additional paid Tutor Meetings, some Friday afternoons.