This email was sent to all students registered for fall quarter.
Oct. 17, 2022
Quick Notes for the Week of Oct. 17
This Thursday: Transfer Day Fair
Planning to transfer to a university? The Transfer Day Fair is for you. Chat with university reps this Thursday, Oct. 20 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Main Quad. Participating institutions include CSUs and UCs, as well as private, out-of-state and international universities. Register for the event to receive updates and reminders, and to be entered in a drawing to win cool De Anza swag.
This Week: Undocumented Students Week of Action
Oct. 17-20, 2022, is Undocumented Students Week of Action. Community colleges throughout California will be hosting local events in support of undocumented students and their families. Visit the Undocumented Students Week of Action webpage to see detailed information about all of the events at De Anza. You can also sign up for event reminders. For questions, contact Shaila Ramos at email@example.com. For more information and resources, visit the HEFAS homepage and the Undocumented Student Resource webpage.
Your Input Wanted: Renaming Psychological Services
De Anza's Psychological Services office is considering changing its name, and they'd like to get your input. They're hoping to choose a name that minimizes any stigma that is sometimes associated with mental health care, while also making sure that students know what services are available to them. You can help by completing their short survey no later than next Friday, Oct. 28. All responses are anonymous.
CAN/DID Inclusion Series: Personal Stories
Over the past couple weeks, the CAN/DID Inclusion Series has released Personal Stories videos from our De Anza community in recognition of Latinx Heritage Month, Filipinx American History Month and LGBTQ+ History Month.
- For Latinx Heritage Month, there were two videos featuring student Natalie Elias. She speaks about what Latinx means to her and why she loves De Anza.
- In celebration of LGBTQ+ History Month and National Coming Out Day, a video features students Andrea Dorado and Sarah Ferrer talking about their experiences in coming out, and why they found it liberating.
Check out these latest videos and others at deanza.edu/candid. Watch this space for more from the CAN/DID Inclusion Series.
Check the Events Calendar for additional details and more events.
- Undocumented Students Week of Action: HEFAS Open House – Monday, Oct. 17, 3-5 p.m.
- Undocumented Students Week of Action: UndocuQueer and Mental Health Day – Tuesday, Oct. 18, 10:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Transfer Center Workshop: California State University (CSU) Application – Tuesday, Oct. 18, 12:30-2 p.m.
- Undocumented Student Week of Action: Know Your Rights and Other Immigration Options – Tuesday, Oct. 18, 4 p.m.
- Wellness Workshop: Zentangle Gathering – Wednesday, Oct. 19, 11 a.m.-noon
- Transfer Center Workshop: Preparation for Transfer Day – Wednesday, Oct. 19, noon-1 p.m.
- Undocumented Students Week of Action: Let's Talk Money and Navigating the Transfer Process – Wednesday, Oct. 19, 3:30-5 p.m.
- Transfer Center Event: Transfer Day Fair – Thursday, Oct. 20, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Undocumented Students Week of Action: "Status Pending" Film Screening – Thursday, Oct. 20, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Transfer University Meeting: Personal Insight Questions Workshop with UC Irvine representative – Thursday, Oct. 20, 1:30-2:30 p.m.
- Transfer University Meeting: University of Southern California Admission Workshop – Thursday, Oct. 20, 2:30-3:30 p.m.
- Transfer University Meeting: UC San Diego Admission Workshop – Thursday, Oct. 20, 3:30-4:30 p.m.
- Kapamilya: The Life Experiences of Filipino Caregivers: MOMENTUM Series event – Thursday, Oct. 20, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Transfer University Meeting: 30-Minute In-Person Advising Sessions with San Francisco State University Representative – Monday, Oct. 24, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Transfer Center Workshop: Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) – Tuesday, Oct. 25, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Mobile Food Pantry: Campus Visit – Tuesday, Oct. 25, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
Tell us about your event! Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us.
Dates and Deadlines
- Veterans Day holiday, no classes; offices closed – Nov. 11
- Last day to drop classes with a W – Nov. 18
- Thanksgiving holiday, no classes; offices closed – Nov. 24-27
Visit the Academic Calendar page to see more important dates and deadlines by quarter.
- Academic Senate – Monday, Oct. 17, 2:30-4:20 p.m.
- De Anza Student Government – Wednesday, Oct. 19, 4 p.m.
Find more information about college governance at deanza.edu/gov.
COVID-19 Vax and Booster Required
To protect everyone's health, you must provide proof of vaccination AND a booster before coming to campus. Face masks are strongly recommended on campus, and may be required in some offices or by individual instructors in their classrooms. For more information, see deanza.edu/vax.
Free PCR Testing on Campus for Students and Employees
Free PCR testing is available three days a week during fall quarter, outside the Campus Center near the Student Health Services entrance on the lower level. No appointment is needed but one-time preregistration is required.
- Mondays and Wednesdays from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Visit the Health Services COVID-19 information page for additional details.
Quick Notes is an email digest of timely information for De Anza students, faculty and staff. Watch for it in your inbox regularly.
Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us to let us know about an upcoming activity or other news that you want to share with the rest of the college community. That’s the best way to get your item on our radar for the website Events Calendar, newsletter and social media planning.
- Questions or feedback? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org