This email was sent to all registered students.
Feb. 14, 2022
Quick Notes for the Week of Feb. 14
Important Update: COVID-19 Testing
Student Health Services is offering free drive-thru PCR testing for students and employees on Wednesdays from 12:30-4:30 p.m. in Parking Lot A. One-time preregistration is required for PCR testing. Visit the Health Services COVID-19 information page for additional details.
De Anza students can also pick up a free home-testing kit outside the Student Health Services office each Monday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. – while supplies last.
Online Author Event With Reyna Grande: Bestselling author Reyna Grande will discuss her work and her experiences as an immigrant and first-generation college student during a special Feb. 17 appearance, hosted online by De Anza College as part of this year’s Silicon Valley Reads campaign. Grande’s memoir, "A Dream Called Home” is one of three featured books for Silicon Valley Reads in 2022. It's the story of an undocumented immigrant and the challenges she faced in attending the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with her struggles in pursuing her dream of becoming a writer. Register online to attend.
Library Open for In-Person Visits: To use the Library you must provide proof of vaccination (physical card or digital copy) at the door and wear a face mask at all times. Visit the Library webpage for more information on hours, services and policies.
California Campus Camp: It’s not too late to attend the California Campus Camp — an intensive and energizing training program for learning practical skills in democratic political action. The camp is being held virtually as weekly webinars through March 24. Sign up to attend the camp sessions online at no cost. Visit the California Campus Camp page for more information.
The CAN/DID Inclusion Series
The CAN/DID Inclusion Series returns this month with short-form video releases in recognition of Black History Month. These videos, to be posted on the CAN/DID webpage and on official De Anza social media accounts, highlight the personal stories and experiences of Black students, classified professionals and faculty in our De Anza community. Catch up on past installments from the series at deanza.edu/candid.
Black History Month Events
February is Black History Month! Join the Black Faculty, Staff and Administrators (BFSA) Network for events throughout the month on the theme of Black health and wellness. Visit the BFSA Events page for details.
- A Talk with Dr. Lakita Long on Mental Health: Thursday, Feb. 17, Noon-1:15 p.m.
- Poetry Night with Queen D: Friday, Feb. 25, 5-6:30 p.m.
You can also get into the spirit of Black History Month with special Zoom backgrounds that are available to download on the De Anza Zoom Backgrounds page.
Check the Events Calendar for additional details and more events.
- Internship/Volunteer Search: Career Services Workshop – Tuesday, Feb. 15, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Math Performance Success: Info Session – Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2-3 p.m.
- Transfer University Meeting: Representative from Sacramento State University – Wednesday, Feb. 16, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Transfer University Meeting: Representative from DeVry University – Wednesday, Feb. 16, 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Zentangle Gathering: Wellness Workshop – Wednesday, Feb. 16, 11 a.m.-noon
- Creative Expressions Group: Psychological Services Group Workshop – Wednesday, Feb. 16, 1-2 p.m.
- Careers in English: A Panel Discussion with English Faculty and Alumni – Wednesday, Feb. 16, 3:30-4:30 p.m.
- Transfer University Meeting: Representative from Chico State University – Thursday, Feb. 17, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Silicon Valley Reads: Online Author Event with Reyna Grande – Thursday, Feb. 17, 10:30-11:30 a.m.
- LGBTQ+ Group: Psychological Services Group Workshop – Thursday, Feb. 17, 11 a.m.-noon
- Black Health and Wellness: A Talk with Dr. Lakita Long on Mental Health – Thursday, Feb. 17, Noon-1:15 p.m.
- AD-T Next Steps: Transfer Center Clinic – Thursday, Feb. 17, 1-3 p.m.
- Racial Justice and the Crisis in Democracy: Winter Showcase – Thursday, Feb. 17, 1:30-3:20 p.m.
Tell us about your event! Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us.
Dates and Deadlines
- Last day to apply for De Anza scholarships – Friday, Feb. 18
- No classes, offices closed for Presidents' Holiday – Friday, Feb. 18 - Monday, Feb. 21
- Last day to drop classes with a W – Friday, Feb. 25
Visit the Academic Calendar page to see more important dates and deadlines by quarter.
- Academic Senate – Monday, Feb. 14, 2:30-4:20 p.m.
- Instructional Planning and Budget Team (IPBT) – Tuesday, Feb. 15, 4-5 p.m.
- De Anza Student Government (DASG) – Wednesday, Feb. 16, 4 p.m.
- Student Services Planning and Budget Team (SSPBT) – Thursday, Feb. 17, 1:30-3 p.m.
- College Council – Thursday, Feb. 17, 3:30-5 p.m.
Find more information about college governance at deanza.edu/gov.
Quick Notes is an email digest of timely information for De Anza students, faculty and staff. Watch for it in your inbox regularly.
Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us to let us know about an upcoming activity or other news that you want to share with the rest of the college community. That’s the best way to get your item on our radar for the website Events Calendar, newsletter and social media planning.
- Questions or feedback? Email us at email@example.com