This email was sent to all registered students.
Feb. 8, 2022
Quick Notes for the Week of Feb. 7
Important Update: COVID-19 Test Kits
NEW: This week, the Santa Clara County Library District will distribute free home-testing kits at six library locations. No appointments are necessary and tests will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. N95 masks will also be distributed while supplies last. View the distribution schedule and locations on the Health Services COVID-19 Information page.
De Anza students can pick up a free home-testing kit outside the Student Health Services office next Monday – while supplies last. You must be registered at De Anza this quarter and taking classes, either on campus or online. Visit the Health Services COVID-19 information page for additional details.
Online Author Event With Reyna Grande: Bestselling author Reyna Grande will discuss her work and her experiences as an immigrant and first-generation college student during a special Feb. 17 appearance, hosted online by De Anza College as part of this year’s Silicon Valley Reads campaign. Grande’s memoir, "A Dream Called Home” is one of three featured books for Silicon Valley Reads in 2022. It's the story of an undocumented immigrant and the challenges she faced in attending the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with her struggles in pursuing her dream of becoming a writer. Register online to attend.
New Office of College Life Newsletter: Want to stay up to date with student-centered events and news? Get "The Scoop" from the Office of College Life! The Scoop is a recently launched newsletter for students. It is currently scheduled to be released weekly. Sign up for the newsletter and read past issues on the Office of College Life newsletter page.
The CAN/DID Inclusion Series
The CAN/DID Inclusion Series returns this month with short-form video releases in recognition of Black History Month. These videos, to be posted on the CAN/DID webpage and on official De Anza social media accounts, highlight the personal stories and experiences of Black students, classified professionals and faculty in our De Anza community. Catch up on past installments from the series at deanza.edu/candid.
De Anza Student Government Elections
Are you interested in being a part of the decision-making process for De Anza's student body? De Anza Student Government is the place for you! The candidate application deadline for DASG Senate or student trustee has been extended to Monday, Feb. 14, at 4 p.m. Details on upcoming information sessions are also posted on the DASG Elections page.
Lunar New Year Zoom Backgrounds
New Zoom backgrounds in celebration of the Year of the Tiger are now posted on the De Anza Zoom Backgrounds page. There are instructions for downloading and using the backgrounds on the page, as well as additional De Anza Zoom backgrounds.
Black History Month Events
February is Black History Month! Join the Black Faculty, Staff and Administrators (BFSA) Network for events throughout the month on the theme of Black health and wellness. Visit the BFSA Events page for details.
- Soul Food Junkies Film Screening: Friday, Feb. 11, 5-6:30 p.m.
- A Talk with Dr. Lakita Long on Mental Health: Thursday, Feb. 17, Noon-1:15 p.m.
- Poetry Night with Queen D: Friday, Feb. 25, 5-6:30 p.m.
You can also get into the spirit of Black History Month with special Zoom backgrounds that are available to download on the De Anza Zoom Backgrounds page.
One Book, One College, One Community Winter Showcase Next Week: Students will share a variety of creative presentations on the theme of "Racial Justice and the Crisis of Democracy" during this special "One Book, One College" winter showcase, to be held online from 1:30-3:20 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 17. "One Book, One College, One Community" is a collegewide reading project, designed to promote a shared experience of intellectual engagement and dialogue across programs at De Anza.
Check the Events Calendar for additional details and more events.
- AD-T Next Steps: Transfer Center Clinic – Tuesday, Feb. 8, 9-11 a.m.
- Choosing a College Major or Career: Career Services Workshop – Tuesday, Feb. 8, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Public Safety, Reimagined MOMENTUM Series event with Daniel Acosta — Tuesday, Feb. 8, 5-6:30 p.m.
- Zentangle Gathering: Wellness Workshop – Wednesday, Feb. 9, 11 a.m.-noon
- Creative Expressions Group: Psychological Services Group Workshop – Wednesday, Feb. 9, 1-2 p.m.
- LGBTQ+ Group: Psychological Services Group Workshop – Thursday, Feb. 10, 11 a.m.-noon
- Building Healthy Relationships: Psychological Services Webinar – Thursday, Feb. 10, 11 a.m.-noon
- Black Health and Wellness: Soul Food Junkies Film Screening: Black History Month event – Friday, Feb. 11, Noon-1 p.m.
Tell us about your event! Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us.
Dates and Deadlines
- Last day to apply for De Anza scholarships – Friday, Feb. 18
- No classes, offices closed for Presidents' Holiday – Friday, Feb. 18 - Monday, Feb. 21
- Last day to drop classes with a W – Friday, Feb. 25
Visit the Academic Calendar page to see more important dates and deadlines by quarter.
- Classified Senate – Tuesday, Feb. 8, 2-3:30 p.m.
- Instructional Planning and Budget Team (IPBT) – Tuesday, Feb. 8, 4-5 p.m.
- Equity Action Council – Wednesday, Feb. 9, 1:30-3 p.m.
- De Anza Student Government (DASG) – Wednesday, Feb. 9, 4 p.m.
- Academic Senate – Monday, Feb. 14, 2:30-4:20 p.m.
Find more information about college governance at deanza.edu/gov.
Quick Notes is an email digest of timely information for De Anza students, faculty and staff. Watch for it in your inbox regularly.
Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us to let us know about an upcoming activity or other news that you want to share with the rest of the college community. That’s the best way to get your item on our radar for the website Events Calendar, newsletter and social media planning.
- Questions or feedback? Email us at email@example.com