For more resources and information, check out this video and visit the Undocumented Student Resources webpage.

Understanding AB 540

AB 540 is a state law that allows undocumented students to pay the same tuition that other California residents pay at public colleges, provided they meet certain qualifications. This FAQ explains how it works.

  • What does it mean to be undocumented?

  • Can an undocumented student go to college?

  • How do I qualify to pay in-state tuition?

Steps to Get AB 540 Status at De Anza

If you meet the qualifications listed above, you can follow these steps to get AB 540 status.

Apply for Admission

Follow the steps on the Apply and Register webpage

Submit the AB 540 Form

Visit the Student Forms webpage of the Admissions and Records Office, and click to open the link for the AB 540 (Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request) form. 

  • This is an online form, so there's no need to print it or scan it. You can fill it out and submit it on a computer or phone.

Still have questions?

If you have questions about applying for admission as an AB 540 student, please contact the Admissions and Records Office by emailing

How to Get Financial Aid as an Undocumented Student

  • Undocumented students who qualify for AB 540 status are eligible to apply for state financial aid as well as for private scholarships to attend California colleges or universities. This is guaranteed under a state law known as the California Dream Act.
  • However, undocumented students are not eligible for federal aid.
  • To learn more, visit our California Dream Act  webpage.

For More Information

Back to Top