General Meeting Information

Date: April 11, 2022
Time: 2:30 - 4:20 p.m.
Location: MLC 255

This meeting will be held HyFlex, meaning anyone can participate in-person or online.  To join remotely, see the Zoom infomration at the bottom of this page. 

  • Agenda

    Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader
    *** Subject to change until 2:30pm Friday ***

    Welcome to our first HYLFEX meeting! 

    (representatives who have not updated their report out and wish to, please do so)

    D Balm
    2:35-2:40 Approval of Agenda and Minutes from March 14, 2022 A Balm, Lee

    Vote to continue to invoke AB 361 (online meeting attendance during the state of emergency)

    A Balm

    Public Comment



    Needs and Confirmations

    Summary Details

    Winter 2022 Financial Report



    Replacement notetaker needed for April 25 meeting


    Balm, Lee

    Energy and Sustainability Advisory Commitee (ESAC) report



    Preparing for Brown Act requirements if/when the state of emergency ends



    Update on College Council, IPBT (Instructional Planning and Budget Team) and the Shared Governance Taskforce


    Balm, Pape

    Report Outs and Good of the Order



    To request to add an item to the agenda of a future Academic Senate meeting, email by noon on the Wednesday before.

    A = Action
    D = Discussion
    I = Information

  • Minutes

    Welcome to our first HYLFEX meeting! 

    The Senate held its first HYLFEX meeting in MLC255! 
    Cheryl reminded representatives to update their report-out.

    Approval of Agenda and Minutes from March 14, 2022

    Mae moved, Lisa M seconded to approve both minutes and agenda. No objection. Agenda and minutes approved by unanimous consent.

    Vote to continue to invoke AB 361

    The Senate voted to invoke AB361 that allowed virtual meetings under certain conditions. The Senate will need to vote every 30 days to continue meeting online.

    Shagun moved, Mark seconded to invoke AB361 to continue meeting online.

    “Given we are in a state of emergency and meeting in person may present a clear present hazard to our health”

    Yes 23 online, 4 in person. unanimous approval.

    Public Comment on items not on agenda (Senate cannot discuss or take action)

    Erik asked if AS would look into the difficulty some colleagues have had with trying to get their names and district email updated.

    Tim: FA also has been working on the problem and have made little progress.

    Tim: FA will likely make a call to “work to contract” next week. They have made no progress with the district on COLA negotiations. There was no offer in the last meeting. There will be a collective negotiation session with all bargaining units next Wednesday. In the meanwhile, FA asked faculty to adhere to the contract and not to add students above the negotiated seat count.

    Mary D: De Anza enrollment is down -12.7% in as of today, Foothill is down -19.9% (compared to Spring 2021) 

    Mary D: Faculty access to previous rosters that was taken away, has briefly returned, But, faculty can expect to lose the full access. This was happening despite the fact that many faculty DO increase enrollment (especially PT at risk of a class being canceled for under enrollment) by contacting previous students. 

    Eric Woodbury surveyed the department members about how long they would like to retain access to rosters. Everyone agreed that 2 years was insufficient, with a couple faculty members pointing out that there is a minimum amount of time that faculty are required to retain student records (5 years?) and that roster access should continue at least that long. 

    Mary D: Chemistry favored maintaining longer access to rosters and questioned why the database system is not robust enough to maintain it. Other colleagues from various divisions wanted all the years back permanently. She asked if someone could come to the Senate and explain. 

    Shagun had a question regarding college policy on recording lectures. She found a 1987 senate resolution which stated that the video recording of lectures and the publication of images should be left to the discretion of the instructor.

    Maristella Tapia: Typically, the guidelines for recording lectures are attached to the Letter of Accommodation that a faculty receives.

    Dawn: Her orientation for new faculty has general information on how to handle accommodation, privacy, and recording. She will share those in a future meeting.

    Shagun also had a question about how to operate the new printers on campus.

    All copiers have been replaced. The ETS website has instructions. It will be helpful to get an information session from ETS on this especially since people are returning to campus

    Mark’s old employee ID card does not have the magnetic stripe to operate the new printers. He assumed that he should go to College Life to get the new employee ID card.

    The log in for printing does not require the magnetic stripe. Dawn and Cheryl will reach out to ETS to pull together some info about the printers

    Diana requested a discussion of AB928 in future agenda this quarter. She would like to know how AB928 will impact certain classes for degrees and transfers.

    Needs and Confirmation

    Hiring Committee for Full-time, Tenure Track ISP Counselor
    Nazy Galoyan, Dean of Enr Svcs, ISP & Outreach, Chair of Committee
    Erick Aragon, Counselor, OR & Rela w/Schools
    Noemi Teppang, Counselor F-1, Admissions
    Denica Kelly, Counselor, ISP
    Amy Leonard, EO Rep

    Hiring Committee for Learning Communities Counselor
    Alicia Cortez, Dean of Equity & Engagement, Chair of Committee
    Adriana Garcia, Equity Office (Division Classified Professional)
    Lydia Hearn, Faculty Project Director
    Liliana Rivera, Puente Counselor (Division Faculty)
    Khoa Nguyen, MPS Counselor
    Brian Malone, EO Rep
    This position is a non-tenure track position and is funded by the Strengthening Institution Program Grant. The grant is for five years, and this position is one of two positions to be funded with the grant.

    Robert moved, Melinda seconded to confirm both hiring committees, no objection, unanimous consent.

    One faculty member to Serve on the Campus Center Advisory Board 
    Catherina Wong, BCAT, Accounting, Full-time, Not tenure
    Melinda moved, Rana seconded to approve. No objections, unanimous consent.

    Replacement needed on Equity Action Council (EAC) - (Volunteer by 4/20/2022)

    One Faculty Member to serve on Campus Facilities Committee 
    Mark Landefeld, PE & Athletics Kinesiology & Athletics, Part-time
    Rana moved, Mary D seconded to approve. No objection, unanimous consent.

    Nominating and Election Committee (NEC) to Elect Academic Senate Vice-President and At-Large Part-Time Faculty Senator 
    Committee members: Tim Harper, Cecilia Hui, and Blue Kasikci
    Tim reported on the timeline:
    3/21 Identify Election Committee
    4/11 Call for Candidates
    4/11-5/6 Collect Candidate Statements 
    5/9 Sent Voting Information to Faculty
    5/16-5/24 Elections
    6/6 Share Results at Academic Senate

    Mary D: Blue will be running and will have to step down from the committee. Will there be a need for a replacement? 
    Tim and Cecilia were comfortable to carry on without Blue.

    One (1) faculty member needed to serve on the FHDA Affordable Housing Task Force.  Apply by 5pm Wed, April 20.
    Eric Reed: Affordable House Task Force
    They have been approved for a grant for a feasibility study for affordable housing off campus.
    Meetings are open to the public; every other Tuesday, noon

    Summary Details

    Financial Report 
    Mary P gave the financial report for winter 2022. The checks for the dues were finally deposited. Mary explained that some of the deposited checks were returned due to expiration. The checks will be re-issued and deposited. The bank fees were charged for transactions over the monthly limit.
    Winter 2022 Financial Report

    Replacement notetaker needed for April 25 meeting

    Rana volunteered to be the notetaker.

    Energy and Sustainability Advisory Committee (ESAC) report
    Draft Mission Statement and Goals

    Cynthia has served on the committee for 6 months. She shared the committee’s Sustainability Action Plan, Draft Mission Statement and Goals.

    “The Foothill-De Anza Community College District Sustainability Action Plan guides our policies, goals and objectives for environmental stewardship, social equity, and financial responsibility.  It encompasses impacts of the actions of students, faculty, staff, and administrators on our district and our communities.”

    The committee planned to present their final sustainability plan to the Board in January.

    Preparing for Brown Act requirements if/when the state of emergency ends

    California continued to be under a state of emergency.  The Republican tried but failed to introduce a bill to force the governor to declare an end to the state of emergency

    Cheryl shared a plan to continue meeting when the state of emergency ends. Currently, the Senate needed 14 voting members to make a quorum. From the survey, 11 people have committed to attend the meeting on campus or within the district boundary for the whole quarter. She was able to create a rotation schedule based on the survey response to ensure that 4 more voting members will be in attendance for each meeting

    Update on College Council, IPBT (Instructional Planning and Budget Team) and the Shared Governance Task Force

    Mary P and Cheryl summarized the outcome of the March 15 IPBT and the March 17 College Council meetings. 

    Prior to the March 15 meeting IPBT had discussions on the need to support Online Education with one more instructional designer and a division dean. Lorrie Ranck was the Dean of Online Ed. When she became APVI, she continued to supervise Online Ed as well as ASLR. 

    At the March 15 IPBT meeting the committee were presented with 3 options to fund the 2 new Online Ed positions with the next 4 faculty retirements. It ended with a vote on the 3 options for recommendation to the College Council and to the President.

    Option 1: use the next 4 retirements to fund the next 4 positions from the ranked list. Option 2: fund the 2 new Online positions and 1 faculty position from the ranked list. Option 3:  fill 3 faculty positions and the new instructional designer position; ask for one time money for the administrative position for the first year, with permanent funding from future retirements. There were discussions and objections over the future funding in option 3 as well as a motion to amend or add another option.

    The vote was taken after the end of the meeting. Option 3 prevailed. However, there was much dissatisfaction over the voting process.

    Over 100 people attended the March 17 CC meeting. Many came to express their concerns over the decision procedure at IPBT. At the end of the discussion, Erik Woodbury moved to table the issue. There was no recommendation and the discussion will return to IPBT.

    Maristella Tapia: it was tabled at college council because of how problematic the meeting and vote was. 

    At the same meeting the Shared Governance Task Force presented their proposal on a new shared governance model. It was discussed at length and went into a vote that passed for recommendation to the President. Cheryl heard that the President was not comfortable with the proposal. However, he has not made any official statement.

    Mari summarized the problem with the procedure at the IPBT meeting. She first acknowledged the people who went to the meetings. She described the IPBT vote and decision, a complete violation of the democracy process. There was a lack of any parliamentary procedure that would curb the power of the chair. There were thoughtful questions from voting members on the wording of option 3 and why the committee never went to the Budget Task Force to request money. There were questions about $325,000 unaccounted for money. Members had only a day to view the options and to decide. A motion and a second to delay the vote for further discussion was ignored. What happened next was a complete violation of democratic process necessary in any shared governance group to protect the minority and to ensure a clear and democratic vote.  The motion was completely ignored. It was a forced choice and a forced vote. A zoom poll was put up forcing a vote over the objections of voting members. The voting process was also flawed. There was no ranked choice voting as agreed upon prior to the meeting. The poll was put up minutes before the end of the meeting and extended past the meeting time, leaving some voting members unable to vote and forcing members to vote in spite of their objections.  There was a proxy vote by a non-voting member on behalf of Lydia Hearn.  Proxy voting has never been approved by IPBT. People unable to vote were told to send their vote via email. Email voting provides no transparency. Members of IPBT have no way of knowing how people have voted. The problem was not the outcome of the vote, but the process. How can we make sure this doesn’t happen again in IPBT? How can we prevent the abuses of non-processes that disrupt democracy?

    Jim Nguyen: faculty should support the classified professionals, there have been attempts to divide and pit faculty and classified against each other. 

    Classified professionals do not have the leisure and freedom to mobilize and advocate for themselves. They have no flexibility, and can only spend 4 out of 40 hours on shared governance and committee work.

    Shagun suggested a joint meeting with classified staff on issues that we can collaborate, and support each other on. It should be a time to just "listen" in a forum created for them.

    We are all being pressured and are having to make do with less. Classified and faculty need to stand together.

    Cheryl pointed out that online education has 2 approved positions (instructional designer to replace Heidi King, and a faculty director) that have not been filled. 

    Mari: The problem was the forced choice and it was not Classified driven. They were top down administrative choices but it unintentionally divided classified and faculty. Faculty have been perceived as spoiled children who throw tantrums when they don’t get their ways. She reminded people that faculty gave up 11 positions to balance the budget. There is also the issue of early cancellation. Faculty is being squeezed with less faculty to handle more students. She stressed the need for faculty to push back.

    There were discussions over how IPBT may proceed with different options and also the proposed new shared governance model. 

    Erik found it disturbing to see how readily a governance process was ignored. IPBT does not have a set shared governance process. They don’t follow Robert’s Rule or consensus committee. It has been a rule of convenience or whoever speaks the loudest. That is something that needed to be addressed. He lost a lot of confidence in our shared governance. This was a significant break in the process. We need to address and re-examine how decisions are proposed and handled in IPBT and other shared governance groups.

    Tim pointed out that faculty funding was being taken for an administrative position. That was the phrasing that some IPBT members objected to in Option 3.

    Many of the departments are being run with just 1 or 2 full-time faculty.

    Also, class cuts done too early have a huge financial impact on faculty, especially on PT faculty. Also hurts students. Some faculty described how cutting sections made students scrambled for classes. Someone mentioned late start classes.

    Mari asked if AS had approved or made any statement on the shared governance proposal. 

    It was suggested that Senate executive members should work on a resolution to support the proposal.

    Report Outs and Good of the Order

    Mark: CCCAA has removed the restriction on providing meals for home games and activities. This was in recognition of food insecurities for student athletes. The recruiting restrictions have been relaxed due to declining enrollment. 

    Lisa M motioned, Mary D seconded, to adjourn, no objection.






    Cheryl Balm


    Mary Pape

    Executive Secretary

    So Kam Lee

    Part-time Faculty Representatives

    Gokce Kasikci

    Mary Donahue

    Academic Services & 
    Learning Resources

    Cecilia Hui

    Bio/Health/Environmental Sciences 

    Rana Marinas

    Janice Valadez

    Business/Computer Science/
    Applied Technologies

    James Tallent


    Career Technical Education & Workforce Development

    Tim Harper


    Counseling - General

    Robert Alexander

    Lisa Castro

     Counseling - Embedded

    Felisa Vilaubi

    Helen Pang

    Creative Arts  



    Disability Support Programs & Services and Adapted PE 

    Kevin Glapion

    Anita Vazifdar

    Equity and Engagement

    Liliana Rivera

    Intercultural/International Studies

    Diana Ferrara


    Language Arts 

    Shagun Kaur

    Lauren Gordon

    Physical Education 

    Rusty Johnson

    Mark Landefeld

    Physical Sciences, Math, & Engineering

    Lisa Mesh

    Salvador Guerrero


    Social Sciences & Humanities



    Student Development & EOPS

    Melinda Hughes

    Curriculum Committee

    Mae Lee (Spring Quarter)

    Erik Woodbury (PLD)

    Professional Development*

    Dawn Lee Tu

    Administrator Liaison*

    Thomas Ray

    DASG Representatives*

    Dimitri Yanovskyi

    Adel Burieva

    Faculty Association Representative*

    Mary Donahue

    Affinity Group Representatives*

    Glynn Wallis, BFSA

    *non-voting member





    Lloyd Holmes

    De Anza President

    Rob Miesa

    VP of Student Services

    Christina Espinosa-Pieb

    VP of Instruction

    Pam Grey

    VP of Administrative Services

    Hyon Chu Yi-Baker

    Director of College Life & Student Judicial Affairs


    Marisa Spatafore

    Associate VP of Communications & External Relations

    Scott Olsen

    Classified Senate

    Michelle Fernandez

    De Anza Student Trustee

    Mallory Newell

    Institutional Research

    Moaty Fayek

    Dean of Business/Computer Info Systems

    Renee Augenstein

    Articulation Officer

    Brian Malone

    Tenure Review Coordinator

    Daniel Smith

    Dean of Creative Arts

    Eric Mendoza

    Dean of Physical Education and Athletics


    Thomas Ray

    Dean of Language Arts

    Alicia Cortez

    Dean of Equity and Engagement

    Randy Bryant

    Dean of Career & Technical Education (CTE)

    Kathryn Maurer

    Foothill Academic Senate President

    Karen Chow

    FHDA District Academic Senate President

    Laureen Balducci

    Dean of Counseling, DSPS & Title IX Coordinator


    Anita Kandula

    Dean of Biological, Health, and Environmental Sciences

    Michele LeBleu-Burns

    Dean of Student Development/EOPS

    Lisa Mandy

    Director of Financial Aid

    Nazy Gayloyan

    Dean of Enrollment Services

    Debbie Lee

    Dean of Intercultural/International Studies

    Yvette Alva-Campbell

    Dean of Physical Sciences, Math & Engineering

    Judy Miner

    FHDA Chancellor

    Elvin Ramos

    Dean of Social Sciences and Humanities

    Patrick Gannon

    Director, Book Store

    David Ulate

    FHDA Research & Planning

    Mae Lee

    Curriculum Committee Vice-Chair


    Tabia Lee

    Faculty Director of Equity, Social Justice & Multicultural Education

Zoom Information 

Meeting URL:

Meeting ID: 941 6329 1090
Passcode: 931239

Phone one-tap: +14086380968,,94163291090# US (San Jose)

Back to Top