Community Service Learning
Community Service Learning Courses
VIDA's Community Service Learning (CSL) Program focuses on experiential learning by arranging for students to interact with diverse and often underserved people in a variety of workplace environments, reflect on their community involvement, and connect and integrate their experiences in the community with their classroom learning and their own lives. CSL can be required or can be attached as additional credit in G.E. courses from all disciplines at De Anza College.
Faculty who require a minimum of 12 hours of community service can have their class listed as an "S" class. This will show up on the schedule of classes, and when students get their transcripts, the hours they have done will show up as a total.
Please contact Cynthia Kaufman (firstname.lastname@example.org) for training in doing service learning, or to have or class have an "S" designation.
Below are some examples of handouts to be used for the CSL component of a class. Please feel free to use and modify as you please.
Successful CSL students can qualify for paid student leadership positions and internships. For more information, contact the VIDA office.
Other benefits include:
- Applying your knowledge, skills, and attitudes to help build a stronger community, locally, nationally, and globally
- Identifying and building partnerships with community organizations
- Deepening understanding and appreciation of course content and the discipline
- Exploring career opportunities and enhancing your resume
- Developing writing, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Learning about and applying cross-cultural and intergenerational communication skills
- Gaining knowledge of policy and developing advocacy skills
VIDA TOP PROJECTS 2016-2017 CLICK HERE