Skills Workshop Schedule
Winter 2016 Skills Workshop Schedule by topic
(click to download pdf)
Winter 2016 Skills Workshop by Week
(click to download Excel file)
Skills Workshops are presented by staff & faculty in the Student Success Center who lead fun-filled, informative discussions and interactive activities to support classroom instruction by helping students at all levels become better learners and gain the confidence and skills to achieve their greatest possible academic success. Workshops are designed for a diverse student population and appeal to a variety of learning styles and skill levels.
Attend a workshop to...
- discover more information about yourself to achieve personal and college success
- become more aware of study strategies to help you to "study smarter, not harder"
- learn how to become a life-long learner by developing effective study habits
- fulfill a requirement for a Skills course, complete Customized Academic Support (CAS) hours, or earn extra-credit in a De Anza College course (see course instructor for details.)
Workshops are open to all currently enrolled De Anza College students, although priority seating is given to students fulfilling requirements for an Adjunct Skills 232 course or CAS.
Listening & Speaking workshops
- Just show up! Advance sign-up NOT required.
- Students who arrive late will not be seated.
- Each presenter will determine seat count based on classroom size and workshop topic.
COLLEGE & CAREER
WRITING & READING
||Goal Setting & Motivation
| Braingame: How to Communicate in Study Groups
||How to Write a Resume
||Avoiding Fragments & Run-Ons
| Braingame: Engaging Ethics
||Creating Dynamic Thesis Statements
| Memory Strategies
||Editing, Proofreading, & Revision
|Note-Taking in Class
||Effective Body Paragraphs
|Test Taking Strategies
||Keys to Success in Summary Writing
|Tests with Less Stress
||Subjects & Verbs: The Art of Agreement
|Textbook Reading Skills
||Vocabulary in Context
|Time Management Strategies
||Warming Up to the Writing Process
- Upload lab materials through CATALYST, DeAnza's online course management system.
- Click on Skills Labs to learn more details about lab requirements, submission, and grading.
Additional workshops are offered in the Listening & Speaking Center, Counseling & Advising Center, and the Transfer Center.