Reporting a Complaint or Concern

We want every student to have a positive experience at De Anza College. If you have a complaint or concern about a situation you've encountered, here are some different ways that you can request a closer review and a fair resolution.

Request Assistance With a Complex Issue

If you have a problem with a college process or other situation, and you haven’t been able to resolve it with the department involved, you can use this form to request assistance from the Office of Student DevelopmentWhile we can’t guarantee a specific outcome, we may be able to assist with navigating a complex issue.


Before submitting a request, you should first seek a resolution with the office or program that’s directly responsible for your issue. You can click the appropriate link below to contact these offices directly, or use the website search function to find contact information for other programs.

Report Worrisome or Threatening Behavior

If you are concerned that the behavior of another student or college employee may represent a threat to themselves or others, you can use this form to report your observations or concerns. Your report will be reviewed and may be referred to an interdisciplinary team that is trained to intervene safely.


Note: This form is not for emergencies. If you see or suspect that someone is in  imminent danger, please contact the Foothill-De Anza district police by dialing 911 or 408.924.8000.

File a Grievance About a College Decision or Action

If you believe a college decision or action has wrongly affected your status or rights as a student, you can file a formal grievance to seek a resolution.


Before you file a grievance, you should make your best attempt to to solve the matter informally by following the steps outlined on the Student Grievance Procedure webpage. (This page summarizes the process outlined in the Foothill-De Anza college district Administrative Procedure 5530.)

After following those steps, and after consulting with the appropriate administrator, you may file a formal grievance. Here are some examples of issues that a grievance might address:

  • Course grades involving a mistake, fraud, error, bad faith or incompetence, in accordance with Education Code Section 76224(a)
  • Arbitrary actions or imposition of sanctions without proper regard to due process
  • Infringment on the exercise of free expression as protected by state and federal laws, including Education Code Section 76120
  • Acts or threats of intimidation or harassment, not related to sexual harassment or discrimination
  • Acts or threats of physical aggression

File a Complaint – Sexual Harassment or Discrimination (Title IX)

If you think you have experienced sexual harassment or discrimination at De Anza, you may contact the college Title IX coordinator for an informal conversation or to file a formal complaint.


You may also report a Title IX concern or complaint to any college employee. They will inform the Title IX coordinator, who will follow up with you to offer support and conduct an investigation as appropriate. You’ll find more information about Title IX and sex- or gender-based harassment and discrimination on the Title IX website.

File a Complaint – Harassment or Discrimination (not Title IX)

Unlawful harassment can include being subjected to a hostile environment, or being denied access to college programs or resources, based on factors such as age, disability, national origin, race, religion or sexual orientation. 

If you think you have experienced unlawful harassment or discrimination at De Anza, you may contact the college unlawful harassment coordinator for an informal conversation by sending an email to Michele LeBlue-Burns, dean of Student Development, at, or you may file an informal complaint, which may allow for resolution through mediation under Section VII.B of district Administrative Procedure 4640

File Informal Complaint

If you would like to file a formal complaint, which may lead to a formal investigation and administrative determination under Section VII.C-F and Sections IX and X of district Administrative Procedure 4640, please refer to the following: and use the district form linked below.

File a Formal Complaint 

File a Complaint About College Police 

If you have a complaint about the conduct of any officer or employee of the Foothill-De Anza district police department, you may file a complaint by clicking the yellow button to open the department's fillable complaint form.


The police department has a procedure for following up on all complaints, as prescribed by state law. 

Back to Top