General Meeting Information

Date: May 23, 2022
Time: 2:30 - 4:20 p.m.
Location: MLC 255

This meeting will be held HyFlex, meaning anyone can participate in-person or online.  To join remotely, see the Zoom infomration at the bottom of this page.

  • Agenda

    Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader
    ***Subject to change until 2:30pm Friday***
    2:30-2:35 Welcome (representatives who have not updated their report out and wish to, please do so) D All
    2:35-2:40 Approval of Agenda and Minutes from May 16, 2022 A Balm, Lee

    Public Comment

    I Balm

    Needs and Confirmations

    Summary Details

    I/A Pape

    SLO Convocation report



    AB1705 - What is it and how might it affect your division/area?



    Colege Council Update following May 19 meeting



    Student Survey results from May 16



    Reception or gift for tenure recipients and retirees?


    Balm, Pape

    Update following the Academic Senate Name Change Resolution from April 18



    Report Outs and Good of the Order



    To request to add an item to the agenda of a future Academic Senate meeting, email by noon on the Wednesday before.

    A = Action
    D = Discussion
    I = Information

  • Minutes [DRAFT]


    Cheryl reminded representatives to update their report-out.

    Mari joined as the newest voting member representing the SSH division.

    Approval of Agenda and Minutes from
    May 16, 2022

    Mark moved, Diana seconded to approve both minutes and agenda. No objection.

    Agenda and minutes approved by unanimous consent.

    Public Comment 

    Thomas: Regalia order form is opened for those planning to attend the graduation ceremony.

    Cecilia: Send reminder for the AS election, deadline tomorrow 5 pm.

    Needs and Confirmation


    Hiring Committee for English as A Second Language (ESL) Instructor 
    Kristin Skager, Dean LA, Chair of Committee 
    Pati Carobus, Faculty, ESL 
    Kathy Flores, Faculty, ESL 
    Craig Norman, Faculty, ESL 
    Linda Yee, Faculty, ESL 
    Young Hee Park Lee, EO Rep (Foothill Mathematics Faculty)

    Statement of Selection Process: The Language Arts Dean sends an email message to the ESL full-time faculty seeking volunteers for the committee. Once the Dean receives at least three volunteers (and up to five), the Dean secures an EO representative

    There was a question about the need for another full time ESL position. This subject was discussed and approved in IPBT. ESL enrollment has been in decline for the last 3 years, about 20%. The English department is aware of the issue. They still have a significant number of part time ESL instructors. The new hire will not adversely affect the part timers. The English Department needed more faculty to teach in the cohort programs.

    Lisa Mesh motioned to confirm, Mark seconded. No objection. Approved by unanimous consent.

    Six faculty for Stakeholder Sub-Groups Measure G Bond Projects
    De Anza Event Center subgroup
    Hyon Chu Yi-Baker, Student Services Office of College Life, Full-time tenured

    Mark moved to approve, Melinda seconded. No objection. Approved by unanimous consent.

    Lydia Hearn was confirmed on 5/16/2022 for The services for Students Building subgroup.

    Replacement of tenure committee members
    Phase III tenure candidate Sheldon Fields will transfer from Outreach into General Counseling this summer; some changes will be required in the composition of his committee.
    Laureen Balducci, Dean, to replace Nazy Galoyan as chair
    Barb Dahlke, Counselor, to replace Denica Kelly, Counselor, ISP
    Lan Truong, Counselor, Veteran Services, Admissions & Records 
    Sal Breiter, At-large representative

    Glynn moved to approve the change, Rana seconded.  No objection. Approved by unanimous consent.

    One faculty voting member position on Administrative Planning and Budget Team (APBT)
    To be confirmed in the next meeting.

    Study Abroad in the Summer of 2024 
    The 2022 summer program will be in Paris. Plans for the next trip to either London or Italy, perhaps with Foothill, in 2024. The European trips take place every two years.
    Contact John Swensson, Director of Global Education Partnerships, at, 408-590-4430, for more information and for consideration.

    Summary Detail

    SLO Convocation report

    Mary P thanked the Senate for the digital Starbuck gift cards for all 52 participants.

    The 2022 Convocation was a practical hands-on session on program reviews. People may view the recording with its annotated outline in the convocation webpage. Mallory gave a demonstration on where to find data for the review.  Alicia and Lee explained the equity section. There were 6 responses to the feedback form.

    There is a convenient link to the SLO assessment form on the SLO home page. Mary encouraged faculty to complete their assessments.

    AB1705 - What is it and how might it affect your division/area?

    AB1705 is a proposed bill that has not yet been passed. 

    This bill will require a community college district or community college to maximize the probability that students will enter and complete transfer-level coursework in English and mathematics within a one-year timeframe of their initial attempt in the discipline. 

    By July 1, 2023, if a community college places and enrolls students into transfer-level mathematics or English coursework that does not satisfy a requirement for the student’s intended certificate or associate degree, or a requirement for transfer within the intended major, the community college must show the following: The student is highly unlikely to succeed in a transfer-level course that satisfies a requirement; The enrollment will improve the students ability to complete the course in the major. 

    If the benefit of the coursework, as described is not verified, the college shall not recommend or require students to enroll in that course after July 1, 2024, and shall notify students who continue to enroll in the course that it is optional and does not improve their chances of completing subsequent coursework that satisfies a requirement for their intended certificate or associate degree, or a requirement for transfer within their intended major.

    The Senate spent some time discussing what it meant and how it will affect the college. The bill seemed to come hard at anything that is a prerequisite

    Lauren G: In English, their Stretch Program doesn’t fit into this language. They were definitely worried about students who are underprepared for the courses and need extra support.

    Both Math and English will need serious conversations about what they can and cannot offer. The proposed bill did not seem to take into consideration students who do not intend to transfer and will need other courses for their associate degrees. There will be massive impact and barriers for associate degrees like med-tech, nursing, and accounting. The students will have fewer options to complete their degrees.

    The language of the bill makes community colleges into a mill for transfer students. 

    Nationwide 87% of students entering community colleges do hope to earn a bachelor degree.

    Comments in chat
    What mobilization is happening at the state level to challenge this and request amendments?

    If and when the bill passes, how may the college interpret and comply with its requirements.   

    There was a question about how this may affect articulation. Some courses are articulated with certain prerequisites. What happens when the prerequisites are removed.

    In English, the PAGE committee has tried to challenge the taking away of the Stretch program.

    Anita: This is going to be problematic for students with disabilities. It's unfortunate, the stretch classes are wonderful!

    It does not make sense that we are moving in this direction given successes under AB705 with the Stretch and Co-requisite courses.

    The Bundle (EWRT 1A + LART 250) class is the only class they can offer starting Fall 2022. The bundle is 8 units in one quarter. 8 units is a lot. Some students need more time. The Stretch courses helped with that (EWRT 1A over two quarters.) 

    They now just have EWRT1A that stands alone (5 units) and EWRT1A & LART250 (the Bundle)

    They are disappointed because it's taken a while to figure out how to teach the class, and now they can't offer them anymore!

    Mari: This does not take into account student voice or experience. Students should have more options and autonomy with placement decisions.

    College Council Update following May 19 meeting
    Educational Master Plan, 2022-2027

    There was little discussion on the Master Plan at the College Council. Send feedback and comments directly to Mallory.

    New Shared Governance model
    The Shared Governance Task Force SGTF has been in place for a year. On March 17 the College Council voted to recommend the SGTF shared governance model proposal. On April 18, the Senate passed a resolution in support of this proposal and urged President Holmes to adopt the model. In the May 19 meeting discussion President Holmes expressed some issues with the PAC model but did not present an alternative model. June 8 will be the last College Council meeting for the year. A model needs to  be in place by then for it to take effect in the Fall. Who will work on and come up with an alternative or replacement? 

    Cheryl recalled that she and Tracy as tri-chairs were asked to work together on the next step. They would welcome any feedback and help with that work.

    Mari asked for clarification on President Holmes’ concerns with the representation of the “4 constituency groups" Faculty, Staff, Students and Administrators in the proposed model since the SGTF did provide for membership for these groups on the PAC.

    President Holmes expressed his willingness to move forward with a new shared governance system. However, he would like to address and work out with the College Council the problems he lifted up in his April 18 response to the Council. The first was the potential imbalance in the representation of the 4 constituent groups within PAC. He had issues with the ex-officio designation for chairs/members in certain committees. He also felt that the recommendation lacked clarity in roles and responsibilities of all governance groups/committees. He emphasized the importance of training for participation in shared governance. What will the training look like? Who will be responsible? How should it be implemented?

    Lloyd Holmes, President Date: April 18, 2022 Subject: Response to College Council Rega

    Mae followed up with questions on the process, the "next steps," the protocol for the Shared Governance Model proposal with its recommendation by the College Council, support of the Academic Senate, and the subsequent response from the president. How to sort through the different points of view and different voices? What are the next steps? What are the decision models? What are the roles for members of the different governing bodies? 

    There were still more questions and discussions on roles, process, and protocol. Who is involved? What bodies are involved? What are their roles? What are their responsibilities? What is the process? How do we figure that out together? What has happened was confusing and did not inspire much confidence about the process that is supposed to democratic, inclusive of multiple stakeholder groups.

    President Holmes would like to have a new shared governance model in place by the Fall. He expected the College Council to work out the process. Work has to be done between now and then to make it happen. They will most likely still be working on some details going into the Fall. 

    He wanted communication and collaboration between faculty, classified professionals, and administrators regarding how to move forward. The leadership should also include students.  

    Roles and responsibilities was one of the issues that President Holmes identified as a shortfall of the recommendations that needed to be addressed.

    Melinda: SGTF were asked to look at shared governance models from different colleges to determine how our shared governance could be better. They were not tasked with defining roles and responsibilities. 

    Mary P: SGTF outlined the members. The roles and responsibilities should be defined. 

    The task force was not charged with anything at this time.

    Cheryl and Tracy were tasked with the next step, to define the role and membership of PAC and bring it back to the College Council.

    Dawn asked that this item continue to be agendized until it is resolved.

    President Holmes: The process for implementation needs to be discussed…not merely handed down by the president or senior staff.

    Student Survey results
    from May 16

    There were 3 recent surveys on Course Modality Preferences for the Fall:
    Enrollment Day respondents
    New Applicants
    Continuing Students

    Many felt that the survey results from Enrollment Day were too biased to form meaningful conclusions. The New Applicants survey had a response rate of 7%.

    Shagun: Fall is going to be a test drive irrespective of our best efforts to survey or guess. Will management be open to using the Fall quarter experience to assess and pivot as needed?

    Mae raised a question on the college identity as we re-emerged from the pandemic. What is the future direction, mission, or guiding principle? Are we trying to be everything to everyone? Is this part of the Education Masterplan?

    The slides include an example/model for a pilot block schedule offered through the Villages that Lydia presented at the Senior Staff Q&A. The slides explained how it works and its advantages.The classes in the sample are hybrid classes that meet once a week. That will limit commute times and days to make it easier for students and faculty to come back to campus.

    They will need discussions and greater variations. Cheryl will invite Lydia to explain the plan in the next Senate meeting as well as the Department Chairs meeting on Friday.

    The slide image is a model and it is not for distribution. Contact deans, schedulers, and Lydia.

    Reception or gift for tenure recipients and retirees?

    There was some discussion about ways the Senate can honor and recognize faculty that have retired or have received tenure.

    Shagun wanted to extend this tradition to honor and acknowledge the services and contribution of the adjunct faculty as well.

    Update following the
    Academic Senate Name Change Resolution from April 18

    Alicia thanked everyone for the overwhelming support, in last month’s Approval with Acclamation of the Name Change Resolution. That meant a lot to her, the students, and others who have been struggling with this issue.

    In the following week Alicia shared an open letter/statement to the Board of Trustees regarding her personal experience with the Name Change process at De Anza. 

    Christina followed up with her the next day. Alicia has made attempts to contact and follow up with Board President Ahrens. Nothing is set in stone yet, but he was hoping that there will be some kind of conversation coming up... hopefully soon.

    Her biggest concern is that people still do not consider the name change process as problematic nor a big issue.

    If this doesn't happen soon, the State will make it happen. Assembly Bill 2315, which has just passed the Assembly, will require that preferred names be used on all non legal documents that include things like courses, class schedules, etc. This is a chance for De Anza to take leadership on this issue.

    There should be district wide conversations that include the Board, FA, faculty, classified, administrators, and students.

    Report Outs and Good of the Order

    James motioned, Lisa seconded, to adjourn, no objection.






    Cheryl Balm


    Mary Pape

    Executive Secretary

    So Kam Lee

    Part-time Faculty Representatives

    Gokce Kasikci

    Mary Donahue

    Academic Services & 
    Learning Resources

    Cecilia Hui

    Bio/Health/Environmental Sciences 

    Rana Marinas

    Janice Valadez

    Business/Computer Science/
    Applied Technologies

    James Tallent


    Career Technical Education & Workforce Development

    Tim Harper


    Counseling - General

    Robert Alexander

    Lisa Castro

     Counseling - Embedded

    Felisa Vilaubi

    Helen Pang

    Creative Arts  



    Disability Support Programs & Services and Adapted PE 

    Kevin Glapion

    Anita Vazifdar

    Equity and Engagement

    Liliana Rivera

    Intercultural/International Studies

    Diana Ferrara


    Language Arts 

    Shagun Kaur

    Lauren Gordon

    Physical Education 

    Rusty Johnson

    Mark Landefeld

    Physical Sciences, Math, & Engineering

    Lisa Mesh

    Salvador Guerrero

    Social Sciences & Humanities

    Julie Kennedy

    Maristella Tapia

    Student Development & EOPS

    Melinda Hughes

    Curriculum Committee

    Mae Lee (Spring Quarter)

    Erik Woodbury (PLD)

    Professional Development*

    Dawn Lee

    Administrator Liaison*

    Thomas Ray

    DASG Representatives*

    Jenny Trinh

    Adel Burieva

    Faculty Association Representative*

    Mary Donahue

    Affinity Group Representatives*

    Glynn Wallis, BFSA

    Dawn Lee, APASA

    Liliana Rivera, DALA

    *non-voting member





    Lloyd Holmes

    De Anza President

    Rob Miesa

    VP of Student Services

    Christina Espinosa-Pieb

    VP of Instruction

    Pam Grey

    VP of Administrative Services

    Hyon Chu Yi-Baker

    Director of College Life & Student Judicial Affairs


    Marisa Spatafore

    Associate VP of Communications & External Relations

    Scott Olsen

    Classified Senate

    Michelle Fernandez

    De Anza Student Trustee

    Mallory Newell

    Institutional Research

    Moaty Fayek

    Dean of Business/Computer Info Systems

    Renee Augenstein

    Articulation Officer

    Brian Malone

    Tenure Review Coordinator

    Daniel Smith

    Dean of Creative Arts

    Eric Mendoza

    Dean of Physical Education and Athletics

    Kristin Skager

    Dean of Language Arts

    Alicia Cortez

    Dean of Equity and Engagement

    Randy Bryant

    Dean of Career & Technical Education (CTE)

    Kathryn Maurer

    Foothill Academic Senate President

    Karen Chow

    FHDA District Academic Senate President

    Laureen Balducci

    Dean of Counseling, DSPS & Title IX Coordinator

    Anita Kandula

    Dean of Biological, Health, and Environmental Sciences

    Michele LeBleu-Burns

    Dean of Student Development/EOPS

    Lisa Mandy

    Director of Financial Aid

    Nazy Gayloyan

    Dean of Enrollment Services

    Debbie Lee

    Dean of Intercultural/International Studies

    Mehrdad Khosravi

    Dean of Physical Sciences, Math & Engineering

    Judy Miner

    FHDA Chancellor

    Elvin Ramos

    Dean of Social Sciences and Humanities

    Patrick Gannon

    Director, Book Store

    David Ulate

    FHDA Research & Planning

    Mae Lee

    Curriculum Committee Vice-Chair

    Tabia Lee

    Faculty Director of Equity, Social Justice & Multicultural Education

Zoom Information 

Meeting URL:

Meeting ID: 941 6329 1090
Passcode: 931239

Phone one-tap: +14086380968,,94163291090# US (San Jose)

Back to Top