This event takes place in the past.
Listen Differently: Black Feminism, Music and Popular Culture
1:30 pm to 5:00 pm
Women of color are often celebrated in popular music and culture. Yet little attention is paid to what women of color think about the state of popular music and culture and the impact that popular images and tropes have on their everyday lives, or the possibilities for interracial exchange and political mobilization. "Listen Differently" will prioritize Black feminist thought and criticism in the arts and humanities by welcoming one of its most powerful practitioners, the hip-hop scholar Tricia Rose, and Bay Area hip-hop artist and author Rocky Rivera.
- Tuesday, March 1
- 1:30 p.m. – keynote with Tricia Rose
- 3 p.m. – dialogue with Rocky Rivera
- 4 p.m. – performance: "Rocky's Revenge"
- Hammer Theater: 101 Paseo De San Antonio, San José 95113 (between 2nd and 3rd streets)
- Please register at tinyurl.com/listendifferently
This event is sponsored by the Women, Gender and Sexuality Center, Rock the School Bells and the FLOW hip-hop learning community at De Anza College, and partners at San José State.