Getting involved with La Voz
1. JOIN THE EDITORIAL STAFF
as a reporter, photographer and/or artist (3 units of credit)
2. APPLY TO BE AN EDITOR
- Become a reporter, photographer or graphic artist by enrolling in JOUR 61a (no journalism experience required).
- Attend classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:30-5:45 p.m.
- Meet class requirements including weekly submissions to La Voz newspaper and associated media.
(3 units of credit)
3. FREELANCE FOR CREDIT
- Apply for an editor position by writing to the Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org; (The letter should consist of an up-to-300 word summary which details your experience and interest in a position.)
- If you are hired, enroll in JOUR 61a or JOUR 61c, attend classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:30-5:45 p.m., and work in the newsroom on Wednesday and Thursday evenings. You will be expected to meet class and editor position requirements.
(1 unit credit and permission to use lab/newsroom)
- Sign up for JOUR 62a, b, c, d, e or f (see schedule of classes)
- Attend the required orientation during the first week of the quarter.
- If you have an area of interest (sports, entertainment, news, etc.) introduce yourself to the section editor in that area.
4. FREELANCE FOR NO CREDIT (no credit and no lab/newsroom/equipment use)
- Contact the editor to let him or her know of your availability.
- Review past issues of La Voz Weekly online at: lavozdeanza.com) to review the type of work that La Voz publishes.
- If you have an area of interest (sports, entertainment, news, etc.) introduce yourself to the section editor of that area.
5. WRITE A LETTER TO THE EDITOR OR A GUEST PERSPECTIVE
- Send a letter of up to 300 words, or a "guest perspective" to the editor in chief on the website lavozdeanza.com or send by email to email@example.com. Include your full name, affiliation or title (e.g., De Anza student, community member, etc.), and telephone and email contact information.
NOTE: Contributing to La Voz does not guarantee publication.