Transfer Planning

Transfer Planning

General Education Overview - Private/Out-of-State Colleges and Universities 

Some California private/independent and out-of-state (OOS) colleges and universities may permit transfer students to follow a general education (GE) pattern of courses while completing admission requirements and lower-division prerequisites for a major.

Every transfer student's unique circumstances - including previous college coursework, major, and choice of transfer institution - will determine which general education pattern or coursework is appropriate to satisfy transfer admission requirements.

Select California private colleges/universities accept coursework from the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) and/or California State University General Education/Breadth pattern (CSUGE^) to satisfy all or a portion of the lower-division general education requirements for their campus.  Keep in mind that private institutions may require official certification of IGETC or CSUGE^ in order to grant transfer credit.

Students should contact the individual admissions offices of private or OOS college/university to confirm acceptance of IGETC and CSUGE^ and/or determine how to fulfill GE requirements prior to transfer to the college/university.

^  The requirements for certification of CSUGE at De Anza College differ from the requirements identified by the California State University System and the information published on ASSIST. Students must complete the CSU GE requirements stated in the De Anza College Catalog, Schedule of Classes or this Transfer Planning Web site, in order to qualify for certification of CSUGE by De Anza College.


Disclaimer:  The final responsibility for successful transfer rests with the student.  The information posted on the De Anza College Transfer Planning Web site is designed to assist you in obtaining the most accurate information possible.  However, this information is subject to change without notice, which may subsequently impact your admission to the University.

Students are encouraged to meet as early as possible and periodically with a counselor or academic advisor both at De Anza College and at the transfer institution to confirm your choice of classes and to develop an education plan for transfer.

Transfer Planning
Contact Information

Last Updated: 9/12/17