Recycling @ De Anza
Hazardous and solid waste reduction and control is one of the six areas of focus for De Anza's Sustainability Management Plan (SMP).
Single Stream Recycling through Recology
At De Anza, the trash that you place in either recycling or waste bins go into a large compactor container for pick up by Recology South Bay.
Commercial customers that subscribe to garbage collection service are entitled to Single-Stream recycling service at no additional charge, which De Anza has opted to use. The "waste" is then sorted out for recycling, composting or delivery to a landfill location.
Benefits to Single Stream
- Lower number of Recology collection trips. De Anza went from 10 to 1 pick up per week for the Campus Center, reducing our carbon footprint.
- Less work for custodial staff in times of reduced staffing, as they had to spend time sorting through the recyclables that did not make it into the correct bins.
- Easier on you! You don't have to think about if you are placing an item in the correct bin, except for a few key materials.
Items that you can't place in single stream bins
- Batteries — Collection bins located in Mailroom in Administration Building or Campus Center, Lower Level
- Printer cartridges — Send back to vendor
- Light bulbs and other hazardous materials, such as spray cans, oil or paint — Contact Sally Gore in Facilities at 408.864.5438 for pickup.
Remember the 5 Rs
Even though Recology will do the work of separating out what can be reused or recycled and what cannot, we still want to limit our waste on campus as much as possible. When placing an item in a trash bin at De Anza, always consider . . .
- Reject - Don't use items that generate trash whenever possible!
- Reuse - Use a reusable water bottle instead of buying water in a plastic bottle.
Are you interested in learning more about Recology's philosophy of waste management? Watch this educational video.
Contact Grounds Supervisor Joe Cooke at firstname.lastname@example.org or 408.864.8862 with questions about recycling at De Anza.