Facilities Fees Policy &
Steps in the Application Process
De Anza College provides an academically rich, multicultural learning environment that challenges students of every background to develop their intellect, character and abilities: to realize their goals; and to be socially responsible leaders in their communities, the nation and the world. De Anza College fulfills its mission by engaging students in creative work that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and attitude contained within the college's Institutional Core Competencies: Communication and expression, Information literacy, Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility, Global, cultural, social and environmental awareness, Critical thinking.
One of the ways De Anza attempts to respond to the needs and interest of our community is by making our facilities available for use by various community groups and organizations. Educational Code 82542 authorizes the use and fees for the use of college facilities by outside groups.
Facility Use Policy (Excludes Campus Center and The Visual and Performing Arts Center which have their own policy)
Pursuant to Foothill-De Anza Community College District Board Policy 3205 the use of college facilities by outside groups shall be for short-term and temporary needs. No possessory interest is intended by any permitted use of a college facility. No use shall be permitted under the authorization of this policy that constitutes a monopoly for the benefit of any person or organization.
In conjunction with District Board Policy 3205, it is the policy of De Anza College to allow community groups and organizations the use of our facilities when that use does not interfere with, infringe on or impede the educational process. De Anza College celebrates the diversity of its student body and the communities from which they are drawn. The college believes in rich diversity-in viewpoint, age, cultural background, race, purpose, and social interaction. As a consequence the college strives to ensure diverse groups and organizations have access to the use of our facilities.
An authorized De Anza College employee must be available on campus as a college representative whenever a facility is used. At the discretion of the Campus Facilities Rental Coordinator and in consultation with the appropriate staff (Director of Campus Safety and Security, Division Dean of area where activity is held, Supervisor of Grounds Services or Manager of Custodial Operations), additional college staff maybe assigned to the event where it is deemed appropriate.
Food and beverages are not allowed in classrooms, lecture halls, and indoor spaces without express written permission. Food and beverages served in any of these facilities will require custodial support to be on staff for a four (4) hour minimum at the renter's expense.
The following direct costs will be assessed to all outside organizations or groups using facilities at De Anza.
- A $50 facility application-processing fee.
- Cost to open/close facility if no college employee would otherwise be present. See Facility Direct Cost Fees, Page 6 for Student Security Officer.
- Cost of college employee to be present during the use of facility if no college employee would otherwise be present.
- Cost for room set up and take down. See Direct Cost Fees.
- Cost for Custodial services. See Direct Cost Fees.
- Cost for grounds services. See Direct Cost Fees.
- Cost for special event set up. See Special Event Equipment
- Cost for specialized technical support e.g. AV, Electrician, Lifeguard e.g., See Direct Cost Fees.
- Cost for Campus Police Officer. See Direct Cost Fees.
De Anza College Student Clubs and Organizations
Student organizations that have been approved by the governing board of the District may be granted the use of community college premises and properties without charge, subject to regulations established by the governing board of the District. They are:
• Not charged facility application process fee.
• Not charged hourly rental fee.
• Not charged utility usage fee.
• Not charged fee for use of specialized equipment
• Direct fees for custodial, maintenance and security are only charged on weekends, holidays and when extra hours would be required.
Organizations (excluding churches and religious groups), clubs, associations and other public agencies organized for general character building or welfare purposes. These groups must provide documentation of legal non-profit status filed with the Internal Revenue Service, otherwise the private rate applies.
• Must pay $50 application fee.
• Must pay reduced hourly rental fee based on fair market value.
• Must pay utility usage fee after normal hours of operation.
• Must pay for use of specializes equipment.
• Must pay for custodial, maintenance and security
Non-profit organizations having fundraising entertainment or meetings where admission fees are charged or contributions solicited must be for the benefit of the students of the Foothill-DeAnza Community College District. Otherwise the private fee schedule applies to their rental contract.
Religious Organizations and Private or Commercial Groups
The governing board may charge an amount not to exceed its direct costs or not to exceed fair rental value of college facilities and grounds under its control for activities other than those specified above.
• Must pay $50 application fee.
• Must pay hourly rental fee based on fair market value.
• Must pay for use of specialized equipment.
• Must pay for custodial, maintenance and security
Parking is not included in the use of college facilities. Participants in scheduled activities/events must pay the daily fee to use spaces in the Flint or Stelling Parking Structures or the various student parking lots. If an outside or internal group or organization is interested in securing prepaid parking for activity/event participants should indicate this to Campus Police. Any request for a fee waiver or reduction must be Board approved prior to the event. Requests for parking permit waivers must be submitted in writing to the Campus Police Record Specialist at least 45 days in advance which allows enough time for the request to be forwarded to the College President for submission to the Board of Trustees for approval.
All outside groups and organizations must provide the college with a Certificate of Insurance with a separate additional insured endorsement for $1 million dollars listing Foothill-DeAnza Community College District as additionally insured. Vendors and caterers must provide evidence of general liability. Evidence of workmen’s compensation insurance must be additionally provided if there are employees on site. Food trucks must provide evidence of general liability and auto liability. Evidence of workmen’s compensation insurance must be additionally provided if there are employees on site. The policy must be on file two weeks prior to the event start date, the same date final payment is due. The certificate holder is : Foothill-DeAnza Community College District 12345 El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, Ca 94022. On a separate piece of paper, with the heading "Additional Insured", the certificate must contain the following additional insured statement worded in its entirety and exactly as follows:" Foothill-DeAnza Community College District, its board of trustees, and the individual members thereof,all District officers and servants are named as additional insured."
Deposits and Billing
A deposit of $50 ( application fee) will be required at the time the application is made or approved. Most events will require at least two meetings. The first meeting is upon initial request and the second meeting prior to the event. Completion of the application online does not constitute an agreement.
In accordance with Educational Code 82542, all fees are due and payable prior to the event. Final payment is due two weeks prior to the start date of the scheduled event. At that time, the Campus Facilities Rental Coordinator and the applicant will review the final arrangements and confirm preparations for the event.
All payments must be remitted to the De Anza College Cashier's Office. Payments may be made by mail. A check deposit form is available. Credit card payment is available. If an event applicant wishes to pay by credit card, a credit card form will be transmitted to them upon request. Credit card payments can be faxed to the cashiers office. Payments may also be made in person at the De Anza Cashier's office located in the Student and Community Services Building.
If it necessary to cancel an activity/event the Campus Facilities Rental Coordinator must be notified no less than 72 hours prior to the scheduled event. If the 72 hours minimum notification is received and acknowledged by the Facilities Rental Coordinator all monies except the $50 facility application-processing fee will be refunded. Refunds will not be given for events canceled after the 72-hour notification period. Refunds will not be given to groups or organizations that fail to show for scheduled event.
After the completion of an event/activity the Campus Facilities Rental Coordinator will send a link to the Event Evaluation Form to the event applicant. Feedback is important for continued improvement of our rental operations.
Facilities Use Application Procedures and Process
Request for the use of college facilities should be filed at least one month in advance of the proposed event. They should be made by completing a Facilities Use Application at the Facilities Rental website. Community groups and organizations can schedule events no more than one quarter in advance of the proposed event. No events can be scheduled during final exam weeks. No events can be scheduled during the month of June due to graduation activities. De Anza College reserves the right to cancel any event scheduled by a community group or organization if the scheduled facility is needed for a college program. If it is necessary to cancel an event the college will make every effort to notify the sponsoring group of the cancellation at least one week in advance or the scheduled activity. In the case of a college cancellation a $50 application-processing fee will be charged for each application processed.
Steps in the Application process
- Facility Rentals Application is available online. Office hours for the Campus Facilities Rental Coordinator are 7:30a.m. - 4pm. Wednesday-Sunday
- Complete the Facility Rental Agreement form and return to the (CFRC) via fax at (408) 864-5454, in person or by mail:
Campus Facilities Rental Coordinator
De Anza College
21250 Stevens Creek Blvd.
- The completed Facility Rentals Agreement is received by the (CFRC)
- The (CFRC) reviews the Facility Rentals Agreement and contacts applicant to discuss the event.
- Applicant and (CFRC) agree on date, venue and cost of event.
- (CFR) books the event by using an electronic scheduler and schedules a meeting with the group if necessary, to discuss any possible issues of concern.
- (CFRC) completes and signs the Facility Rentals Application spelling out date(s), venue and creates an invoice.
- One week prior to the requested event, the (CFRC) will contact the applicant to confirm campus preparations for the event.
- Event cancellations must be received and acknowledged by the (CFRC) 72 hours prior to the scheduled event.
- See billing section regarding payment.