Grade Policies

Grades are earned in each course and are recorded on the student’s permanent record. Evaluation of student achievement will be made in relation to the attainment of the specific objectives of the course.

At the beginning of a course, the instructor will explain these objectives and the basis upon which grades are determined.

Important Information

Dean’s List

Full-time students (those taking 12 or more quarter units) must have a quarterly GPA of 3.30 or higher.

Grade Changes

Title 5 of the California State Administrative Code states that "the determination of the student’s grade by the instructor shall be final in the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith or incompetency.”

If students believe corrections should be made within the above restriction, they should first talk to their instructors.

Corrections must be initiated within two years of completing any course in which a grade is being disputed.

Grade Definitions


Excellent:  4.0 points


Excellent:   4.0 points


Excellent:  3.7 points


Good:  3.3 points


Good:  3.0 points


Good:  2.7 points

Satisfactory:   2.3 points
Satisfactory:  2.0 points
Passing, less than satisfactory:  1.3 points
Passing, less than satisfactory:  1.0 point
Passing, less than satisfactory:  0.7 point
Failing:  0.0 points

Pass (at least satisfactory): units awarded not counted in GPA 


No Pass (less than satisfactory, or failing): units not counted in GPA.

Non-Evaluative Symbols (not used in calculating GPA)


Incomplete: Academic work is incomplete for unforeseeable, emergency and justifiable reasons at the end of the term. At least 75 percent of the class must have been completed to qualify for Incomplete status.


In Progress: The symbol denotes that the student is registered for this course, and the grading period is not complete. Work that is "In Progress" will not appear on a student’s transcript until the term has officially begun. It will remain on the transcript until the student has either officially withdrawn ("W") or a grade has been assigned.


Report Delayed: The “RD” symbol may be assigned by the Office of Admissions and Records only. It is to be used when there is a delay in reporting the grade of a student due to  circumstances beyond the control of the student. It is a temporary notation to be replaced by a permanent symbol as soon as possible.


Withdrawal: A "W" is assigned when students drop a class after the first two weeks of a regular 12-week term and/or 20 percent of a course if a shorter term course. A "W" will be assigned to all drops occurring between 20 percent and 75 percent of completion of a term. After this period, a student can be awarded a "W" only by means of an Extenuating Circumstance Petition, in which s/he provides documentation proving “verifiable reason” such as illness or incarceration. In the absence of the petition and documentation, a grade will be assigned to the student record.

While a "W" will not be used in calculating GPA, it will be used as a factor in probation and dismissal procedures. It is also used to calculate enrollment limits; that is, students may not enroll in the same course more than three times, which includes both "W" and substandard grades.

Pass-No Pass (P-NP) Courses

De Anza College uses the P-NP grade for courses authorized by the Board of Trustees and Title 5.  Students must request the P/NP option within the first 30 percent of the course, either online or through the Admissions and Records Office.

Some courses are P/NP only and a letter grade cannot be assigned. Check the course description for information on grade type for the course. Letter grades are not available in these courses.

Other courses may allow the P-NP option. Students should be aware that some transfer schools may not accept P-NP as an option, and once the P-NP option has been chosen, it cannot be reversed per state regulations.

No more than 30 units of P-NP classes can be applied toward an A.A./A.S and no P may be applied to a student’s major requirements unless the course is only P-NP.

Requirements for a major or area of emphasis

  • Each course toward the unit requirement of this subdivision must be completed with a grade of C or better or a “P”

General Education Requirements

  • “Satisfactorily completed” means either credit earned on a “pass-no pass” basis or a grade point average of 2.0 or better in community college

Units earned in P-NP will not be calculated in the GPA; however, NP shall be considered when determining Academic Progress, probation and dismissal procedures.

Back to Top