Welcome to FYE
When you join FYE, you can
- Combine different fields of study and participate in community engagement through this year-long program
- Attend reading and writing classes that will take you at least through your first college-level courses
- Take additional college level classes such as sociology, career and life planning, intercultural studies, and physical anthropology.
Who is Eligible?
You are eligible for the First Year Experience (FYE) Program if you meet the following requirements
- High school graduate or have a GED or 18 years old
- First-Generation College Student (parents do not have a college degree)
- First-Time, Never Attended College
- English Placement of EWRT 200 & READ 200 or EWRT 211 & READ 211
- Committed to taking the entire FYE cohort for the entire school year
- Before enrolling in the FYE cohorts, all FYE students are required to attend a recent Summer Bridge program through De Anza College specifically designed for incoming students going into FYE.
How to Join FYE
If you are interested in joining the First Year Experience program, please complete the following steps:
- Apply to De Anza College
- Make sure the Assessment Office has your high school transcript, in order to determine your English placement
- Submit the online interest form for FYE
Because space is limited, applicants are encouraged to complete our interest form as early as possible.
Please Support Our Scholarship Program
The Jean Miller First Year Experience Scholarship fund is a beautiful reminder of Jean Miller’s legacy. The money has literally put books in the hands of our most struggling students. Anything you can give will be appreciated.