De Anza photo

Don Nickel - Counseling & Matriculation

Transfer FAQs

How do I decide if I should transfer?

If you want a four-year degree - Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Science (BS) - you are a transfer student and must plan to take the appropriate courses. You may also want a two-year degree - Associate of Arts (AA) or Science (AS.). With good course planning, you can earn an Associate degree and count the courses toward transfer.

How do I decide where to transfer?

  1. First, decide on a major in order to plan your classes accordingly. Not all colleges offer all majors. Ask a staff person in the Career Center about using EUREKA. EUREKA is a computer software program which has a Programs of Study database that gives an explanation of majors and shows which state colleges and universities offer those majors. You can also use the major finder in Assist to match colleges with majors.

  2. Next, consider some very practical matters:
  • Type of Institution:
    Do you want to attend a California State University (CSU) such as San Jose State or a University of California (UC) school such as UC Santa Cruz or an independent (private) college such as Santa Clara University?
  • Competitiveness:
    How difficult is it to be admitted into the school or major? What kind of GPA is needed to be accepted? Keep in mind the minimum GPA to be competitive for acceptance is often much higher than the minimum eligibility for admission.
  • Costs:
    How much can you and your family afford? CSUs are the least expensive, followed by the UCs. In general, independent universities are the most expensive. Cost, however, should not be the primary factor in your decision. Most colleges offer financial aid and/or scholarship packages for qualified applicants.
  • Location, size, and college/community environment:
    There are numerous family and lifestyle factors to consider in choosing a college. How far away from your family and friends do you want to be? Do you prefer an urban or rural community? Do you care whether the college has a large or small population? Is a diverse student population important to you? Are support services available? Will you need to find a job? What about campus clubs or Greek life? You can probably think of additional questions relevant to your lifestyle.

To help you with these questions, you need to be proactive in your college search. Go to a college's website and look up the major you are interested. What makes that major unique for that particular college? What resources do they have? Do they offer internships? Look for contact information, usually a faculty advisor and take advantage of that resource. Your instructors are a good source of information as well. For example, if you are a Film major, ask your film instructors for their recommendations for good film schools.  De Anza hosts Transfer Day each fall and reps appear at De Anza throughout the year to meet with interested students. This information is updated regularly on the Transfer Planning web site.

However, at some point, you should consider visiting the campuses that appeal to you. Try to experience the campus in some way. Talk to students and listen to what they have to say. Take a guided tour and try meeting with a college rep or a major advisor.

Once I've decided on a major and a transfer school how do I prepare?

  • Articulation agreements for the major:
    Using Assist, obtain the articulation agreement for your major and transfer school. If no articulation exists, then look up the lower division major requirements in the transfer school's catalog and attempt to find the equivalent De Anza courses using our catalog. A De Anza counselor can assist you with this process.
  • General education:
    Select and follow the appropriate GE pattern.
  • Additional requirements:
    Become aware of additional requirements or eligibility criteria which may be in effect with specific schools and/or majors. Examples could include higher than average GPAs, portfolios and limited application filing dates.
  • Personal Statement:
    If you are planning on transferring to a UC, then you will have to write a Personal Statement. You should begin to think about what kind of content you want to put in it. If you want to be able to say you were involved in some kind of student club or government, volunteer work, community service or work experience, then this would be a good time to become involved. Many private schools require some variation of the Personal Statement. Research the topics you might have to write about and allow yourself plenty of time to write a good essay.
  • Educational plan:
    After you have completed the Ed Plan for this class, come into the Counseling and Advising Center and develop a long-term Ed Plan that will show when you will be eligible to transfer.
  • Application:
    Fill out and submit your online application to transfer during the appropriate time period. The Transfer Center sponsors application workshops throughout the month of November.
Application Filing Periods
Univ. of California (UC) Applications Accepted
Fall quarter/semester Nov. 1 - 30 of the previous year
Winter quarter July 1 - 31 of the previous year
Spring quarter Oct. 1 - 31 of the previous year
Note: All UCs are on the quarter system except Berkeley  and Merced. UCB typically accepts students for fall semester only. Due to the current California budget crisis, many Ucs and CSUs are not accepting mid year transfers.
California State Univ. (CSU) Applications Accepted
Summer February of the same year
Fall sem./qtr. Oct 1 - Nov. 30 of the previous year
Winter qtr. June 1 - 30 of the previous year
Spring sem.     Aug. 1 - 31 of the previous year

Can I transfer at any time or must I complete all requirements before I transfer?

This depends on your transfer school, your major, and, in some cases, your high school record. The rule of thumb, however, is that you transfer as a Junior after completing 90 transferable quarter units for the UC and CSU. Many four-year schools and majors are 'impacted' (overcrowded) and highly recommend you complete most if not all of your major requirements and the minimum requirements of GE to be competitive for acceptance.

Can I transfer without declaring a major?

Again, that depends on the transfer school. In general, the UC does not accept undeclared majors. The CSU may admit students without a declared major. Be sure to find out this information well ahead of time.

What are the current minimum UC transfer eligibility requirements?

  • 90 UC transferable quarter units (De Anza courses 1 - 49)
  • 2.4 GPA (2.8 GPA for International Students)
  • Completion of English: EWRT 1A
  • Completion of Critical Thinking: EWRT 2 or PHIL 3 or SPCH 9
  • Completion of a Math course more advanced than MATH 114: Math 10, 11, 44, or 49B, Math 1A or higher
Plus four courses from at least two of the following subject areas using IGETC as a reference
  • Arts and Humanities
  • Physical and Biological Sciences
  • Social and Behavioral Sciences

Note: All courses required for admission must be completed with a grade 'C' or better.

What are the current minimum CSU transfer eligibility requirements?

  • 90 CSU transferable quarter units (De Anza courses #1 - 99)
  • Of those 90 units, 45 units must be in GE
  • 2.0 GPA
  • Completion of English: EWRT 1A or ESL 5 ('C' or better)
  • Completion of Oral Communication: SPCH 1 or 10 ('C' or better)
  • Completion of Critical Thinking: PHIL 3 or PHIL 4 or PHIL 5 or PHIL 7 or SPCH 8 or SPCH 9 or SPCH 15 or EWRT 2 ('C' or better)
  • Completion of one math course more advanced than MATH 114 ('C' or better)

Note: Most UC and CSU campuses and majors require additional preparation courses and sometimes a higher GPA.


email Email: Don Nickel
Phone: 408.864.5423
Office: RSS 240




Last Updated: 2/10/11