ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES 72
HEATING, VENTILATING AND AIR CONDITIONING (HVAC)
ES -072.-63Z, Call# 2614
Instructor: Steve Murphy
Winter 2002, 1.0 Unit
De Anza College Distance Learning Center
Office Location: LCW-102
Phone: 408-864-8969 FAX: 408-864-8245
Office Hours: M-Th, 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Fri: CLOSED
This new live video class is an overview of the field of Heating Ventilating and Air Conditioning, HVAC, and its importance in today's society, including future implications, and discussion of careers and impact on modern culture and society. This module introduces the subject of today's HVAC systems and related energy and conservation issues.
Online Class Folder
Eligibility for English 100A; Reading 201; ESL 161-163 is advised.
INSTRUCTOR INFORMATION: Steve Murphy
Office Hours: 5:00 p.m.- 5:30 p.m.
Days/Hours: Tuesday evening prior to class
Phone/Voicemail: (408) 864-8999 Ext. 3185
FAX Telephone(s): (408) 864-8245, (408) 864-5546
Office Location: S-56a
E-mail Address: email@example.com
Be prepared to spend six hours per week attending class and using and studying
the course materials.
- Read over the Online Orientation.
(Online Orientation may be found at this address:
http://distance.deanza.fhda.edu/emtp/courseo.shtml). The last day to add the class (if seats are available) is March 12, 2002.
- Participate in the three live and interactive three-hour videoconferences.
- Complete one three-hour field trip or lab activity (assignment to be announced).
- Complete all reading assignments.
- Complete class assignments.
- Complete "HVAC System Survey" during lab activity.
- Complete and turn in Class Journal/Notes as assigned.
After completing the reading assignments and participating in the video programs,
you should be able to:
- Identify and understand the different types of HVAC systems found in today's commercial, industrial and institutional buildings.
- Clearly understand the importance of Title 24 and its effect on Indoor Air Quality and building ventilation systems.
- Identify and understand the value of HVAC energy management systems.
- More clearly understand the advantages/disadvantages of using evaporative cooling and other innovative concepts in today's HVAC systems and equipment.
- Explore career opportunities in the HVAC field.
The course materials for students will be at: http://www.deanza.fhda.edu/faculty/murphy/es72 and at your site.
MEDIA COMPONENTS AND AVAILABILITY
Three three-hour Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning (HVAC) video programs.
Viewing Options for HVAC video programs.
- Participate at your college campus in the 4CNET videoconferencing or videotape off satellite (see attached 4CNET & CSat Schedule).
- The receive sites may videotape the in-coming signal of the class or off satellite for later viewing. Check with the technical staff where you may view the tape at your convenience.
- On-site (De Anza) students check out tapes from the Open Media Lab to view
overnight at home.
- SMART DASB Card required. The Smart Card Office is located in the lobby of the Administration building (408-864-5551).
- DLC ID Card required (available at the De Anza College Distance Learning Center, LCW-102).
- One tape at a time may be checked out for 24 hours, no renewals.
- Return tapes to Open Media Lab or in the drop box outside of Learning Center West (please report any videotape technical problems).
- Late fines: $2.00/day (maximum fine-$25.00); replacement/lost tape charge: $50.00/tape.
STUDY EACH WEEK'S ASSIGNMENTS
The course content comes from the videoclasses and assigned readings. Your activities
will be from both the readings and video programs. If, for any reason, you miss
watching a video program during the assigned week, you should still keep current
with your reading assignments.
Work on the lessons in the following order:
- Read the textbook assignment (prior to the video class).
- Participate in the video class lecture:
- at your receive site, or
- on videotape in the local Media Lab, in the
De Anza Learning Center, or
- on videotape checked out from your local Media Lab (limited copies) to view
- Complete any required written assignments (see the Assignment Schedule).
COMPLETE THE WRITTEN ASSIGNMENTS
- Homework Assignments: There are 2 homework assignments and a final "HVAC System Survey". Student "Class Journals/Folders" also need to be turned in for credit. The due dates for each assignment are listed in your lecture schedule. These 4 assignments are worth a total of 250 points!
- Lab Activity: Your lab is scheduled for Saturday, March 30 from 9 AM- 12 NOON . Your lab activity will be at your specific school site.
Submitting Assignments: Copy and attach the cover
sheet on the last page of this syllabus.
- Turn in your paper at the Distance Learning Center, room LCW-102. During regular hours drop them into the Homework Drop Box inside the office and sign in your name on the "Student Coursework Sign-In-Sheet" so there is a record of your paper being turned in there. After hours, drop them into the Homework Drop Box located by the Distance Learning Center back door (facing the California History Center).
- Mail your paper to: Steve Murphy, De Anza College Distance Learning Center, 21250 Stevens Creek Blvd., Cupertino, CA 95014
- FAX your paper to either of the two Distance Learning Center FAX machines: (408) 864-5546, or (408) 864-8245.
Graded homework is returned for On-campus students to the DL Center about 7-10 days after its due date. Please present your DASB Photo ID to the Distance Learning Center staff to retrieve your work.. Off-campus students send a self-addressed, stamped envelope along with your assignment and your homework
TESTING AND GRADING
Final Grading and Point Breakdown:
|Attendance (4@10 pts each)
||90 - 100%
|Homework 1 and 2 (30 each)
||80 - 89%
|HVAC System Survey
||70 - 79%
||60 - 69%
||59% and below
Policy on Copying and Cheating
Students who submit the work of others as their own or cheat on exams or
other assignments receive a failing grade in the course and are reported to
You may access your final grades through the Star System at 408-777-9394 or
650-917-0509 or the Internet at https://regserv.fhda.edu/da-grades.html.
[Return to top of page]