This event takes place in the past.
Welcome Day: Music, Prizes and More!
10:00 am to 1:00 pm
Visit the Main Quad on Friday, Sept. 21, from 10 a.m.-1 p.m., for a special event before fall quarter starts.
- Save at the Bookstore – 10% off textbooks, 25% off apparel
- Meet your instructors. Get advice on adding classes from instructors and counselors. (You can add classes online.)
- Take a campus tour. Tours will leave from the check-in table at 10 a.m., 11 a.m. and noon.
- Learn about majors, clubs and Learning Communities – a great way to connect with a network of supportive classmates, instructors and advisers.
- Find your classrooms before the quarter begins.
- See below for more activities.
You can also:
- Bring a friend!
- Ask the experts in Counseling, Financial Aid and other student services.
- Take care of business: Get your VTA SmartPass and DASB card. (Order your parking permit ahead of time through MyPortal and avoid the service fee by paying in person at the Cashier's Office.)
There will be free parking in the Flint Garage. Visit the check-in table to get a great prize and enter the drawing for a new iPad.
RSVP at deanza.edu/welcomeday.
Activities by department or program:
Art History: Meet the instructors and learn about the Art History program. Come to VPA 132 in the Visual & Performing Arts Center, 10:30 a.m.-noon.
Biology: Make art from algae! Visit S5 2 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. to meet biology instructors and learn how algae and kelp are used to make a variety of products.
Business: Learn about Business degrees and certificate programs during a special orientation in Forum 1 starting at 10:30 a.m.
English: Explore writing and literature with instructors from the English Department. Stop by for games, mini-lectures and informal chats. Visit ADM 101 from 10 a.m. -1 p.m.
Film/TV: Catch a student film! The Film/TV Department will be screening short films, starting at 10 a.m. and at 11:30 a.m. in the Advanced Technology Center, AT 120.
Health Technology: Check your vitals! Instructors from the Health Tech Department will perform blood-pressure exams and measure blood-oxygen levels in S7 4 from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
Language Arts: Learn about the new EWRT 1A / LART 250 "stretch" sequence. Students enrolled in this special sequence can meet the instructors in L7 2 from 10-11:30 a.m.
Life Sciences: Instructors, staff and a counselor from the Biological, Health and Environmental Sciences Division will be in the S Quad, Building S5 and the Science Center from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
Music: Enjoy live performances – from classical guitar to rock 'n' roll – by current and former Music Department students, in the A Quad from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
Nursing: Observe a simulated exam with an artificial patient, or an IV insertion with (fake) blood! Play games and chat informally with instructors and students. Visit S8 3 and S8 2 from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
Social Sciences and Humanities: Get social! Instructors will be available from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. in Building L 2 and the Multicultural Center as well as in the Main Quad.
Sports: Come out and root for your school! The women’s soccer team has a home game at 1 p.m. The men's soccer team will play at 4 p.m. Both games will be held at the Soccer Field.
Student Health: Spin a quiz wheel to learn about Student Health Services on campus. Collect freebies and win prizes in the Main Quad from 10 a.m.- 1 p.m.
Check back for information on more activities as details become available.