Learning Center West

Learning Disabilities Support

How to Apply for Learning Disabilities Support Services


Who is eligible for Learning Disabilities Support Services?

  1. Be registered as a De Anza College student and obtain your College Wide Identification (CWID) number
  2. Have a learning disability that results in an educational limitation (see documentation at bottom of page)
  3. Meet with an LD Specialist to establish an Academic Accommodation Plan (AAP)

New and Returning Students
  1. Complete and submit the online DSPS Application for Services
  2. A DSPS Staff member will contact you to set up an appointment with a DSS Counselor or LD Specialist
Information for students with disabilities about taking placement tests


If you are unsure about whether you should take Placement Tests or if you will need accommodations to do so, discuss this with your DSS Counselor or LD Specialist.

Continuing Students
  1. Contact LD Support to set up an appointment with your LD Specialist to discuss any changes or additions to your services.
  2. It is recommended students at least check in with LD Support sometime during the first three weeks of each quarter.

Learning Disabilities Support services are provided to students who have learning disabilities that have been documented by:

  • An outside professional who is qualified to diagnose learning disabilities and completed within the three last years.
  • Documentation from another college with an indication of a specific learning disability.
  • A high school Individual Education Plan (IEP) within the past three years, including the most recent testing report from the school psychologist.
  • A learning disability assessment through De Anza's Learning Disabilities Support services.
Students who have completed an assessment should provide a copy to Learning Disabilities Support services.

The Learning Disabilities Support services can provide an assessment for enrolled De Anza College students who have never been identified or diagnosed in order to establish their eligibility for services and appropriate accommodations for college.

A comprehensive standardized evaluation by a trained professional is necessary to qualify a student for accommodations and Learning Disabilities Support services.  An evaluation:

  • assesses the specific learning differences involved and
  • determines whether the learning problems result from a learning disability or from other possible causes.
Documentation from high schools should include both the student's IEP or 504 plan and the psychological report.

A psychological report documenting the disability should include:

  • Cognitive ability test standard scores (usually the WAIS III/IV or WJ III).
  • Achievement test standard scores (usually the WIAT II or WJ III).
  • Educational limitations
  • Recommended accommodations and services



row of silhouettes of people with disabilities


Learning Disabilities Support Team
Building: RSS 141
Contact: Kim Fukuyama
Phone: 408.864.8838 sizeplaceholder

Last Updated: 12/5/16