About Accommodations and Services
Accommodations are defined in Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations as:
- Academic Adjustments,
- Auxiliary Aids, and
Accommodations afford a student with a disability an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from all college courses, programs, and activities.
Colleges are required to offer appropriate accommodations to qualified students. At De Anza College these mandates are adhered to rigorously and accommodations are well established. The Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS) Division oversees the coordination and delivery of student accommodations, many of which are the responsibility of Disability Support Services (DSS).
Accommodations fall into the following categories:
- Determined on a case-by-case basis
- Determined in a consultation process with the:
- Instructor, and
- DSS Counselor or LD Specialist
- Must NOT alter the:
- Fundamental nature of the discipline or
- Established academic standards for the course
Examples are changes to instructional / classroom:
Physical plant and architectural accessibility-
Examples of universal designs and modifications:
- Campus barrier removal
- Visual emergency alarm systems
- Braille door signage
Modification to policies, practices or procedures-
Examples are changes such as:
- Course substitutions,
- Extension of assignment deadlines
- Flexibility in attendance policy
Provision of auxiliary aides and services-
- Alternate media textbooks,
- Captioned DVD/film materials,
- The loan of tape players
As a student service program concerned with access, retention, and success, DSS also offers some optional services, not required by mandate, but which promote student achievement.
In addition to providing direct student services, DSS also offers advisement and liaison services to the campus community at large.
Descriptions of the accommodation and services available to students with disabilities are in:
Refer to The Disability Information Student Handbook (DISH)
for additional information, including:
- A detailed discussion of important general accommodation issues
- Policies, procedures, and guidelines on specific accommodations
- Other topics of interest and help to students with disabilities at De Anza College
Click here to return Deaf Services.