Information on Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students
If you have a Deaf or Hard of Hearing Student in your class, refer to the following for information and assistance.
Deaf or hard of hearing students typically seek assistance and services from Disability Support Services (DSS) when they register for classes at De Anza. Deaf/Hard of Hearing Services (DHHS) works closely with the student and the DSS program to meet the communication access needs of Deaf/hard of hearing students.
- The student will work with a DSS Counselor and the DHHS Supervisor to decide on accommodations.
- The student will request, if needed,
- a sign language interpreter or a captioner OR
- the loan of an assistive listening device for the instructor to wear while lecturing.
- DHHS will send an "Instructor Referral" packet to the instructor of record for the class. (See below for PDF files of the Packet contents.)
- If the instructor has further questions about the student's enrollment or about interpreting, captioning, or the assistive listening system should contact either Disability Support Services at X8753 or Deaf Services at X8755.
The Instructor Referral Packet
- The "Instructor Referral" packet is sent to an instructor who has a Deaf or hard of hearing student enrolled in his/her class.
- It contains information sheets about teaching Deaf and hard of hearing students.
- It also provides information on the requirement to show only captioned instructional media. (See section below, "Captioning Instructional Media at De Anza.")
- It contains the following reference materials:
- Instructors will need to fill out the Captioning Request Form to request assistance from Deaf Services to obtain their instructional media in a captioned format.
- This form can be
- completed on-line: Captioning Request Form
- to DHHS Services in LCW 110 or
- dropped in the Deaf Services or DSS mailbox in the Faculty Mail Room.
- Instructors should keep a copy for their records.
- Instructors who have additional questions about Video Captioning requirements or their individual Video Captioning Request form submission should contact Deaf Services at X8755.
For more information on working with students with disabilities at De Anza College, see the Disability Support Programs and Services web-site