Frequently Asked Questions for Faculty
What is Section 504 and the American's with Disabilities Act and why are we legally required to provide accommodations?
How do you ensure academic integrity during test proctoring?
Can I proctor an exam on my own or must I use the testing center?
You may proctor an exam if you agree to meet all the conditions and accommodations stipulated in the accommodation notification. However, in some cases, DSS reserves the right to determine the location and identify a suitable proctor for an exam.
I have a student in class who told me they have a disability, but since that time, has never requested any accommodations or provided me with a notification from DSS. Am I still responsible for accommodations?
No, you are only responsible for accommodations authorized by DSS. In this case, you may wish to speak with the student in private and refer them to DSS.
They can be reached at 408.864.8453 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
I have an online class, which i give timed quizzes and exams for. What is the next step to meet a students accommodations?
Certain accessibility requirements must be addressed when developing learning materials for electronic distribution to students. Distance education courses, resources and materials must be designed and delivered in such a way that the level of communication and course-taking experience is the same for students with or without disabilities.If the course has timed quizzes/exams, the assigned class duration must be adjusted to meet the students accommodations.
How to extend time through Canvas: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13053-4152276279
I am not sure I agree with the accommodations. What should I do?
Can DSS proctor exams for students without accommodations?
What is alternate media and what do I do when a student's accommodations require their testing materials to be converted?
What is Clockwork and how do I use it?
Instructors can utilize Clockwork to:
- View all student accommodations for the quarter
- Confirm accommodation testing requests
- Provide information regarding testing times, materials, etc.
How to Access Clockwork
- Log into myportal.fhda.edu
- Click Apps
- Scroll to locate the "Clockwork" App
- Click on "Clockwork De Anza"
Pop quizzes are a part of my teaching. How do I accommodate a student for pop quizzes?
Two methods of making pop quiz arrangements:
- If the instructor knows in advance the specific dates that each ‘pop’ quiz will take place in class during the quarter, the instructor can inform the DSS Test Proctor of all of the quiz dates in advance (preferably at the beginning of the quarter) in an email, with the option of attaching all pop quizzes onto the email or emailing each quiz separately, 24 hours in advance before the quiz is to be administered at DSS.
- If the instructor is unsure yet of the specific dates the pop quizzes will take place in class, they must then notify the DSS Test Proctor and email the quiz at least 24 hours in advance before the pop quiz takes place the following day, in order to allow ample time to schedule the student.
When emailing pop quizzes, faculty must communicate to DSS the time their student(s) will arrive to take the quiz at DSS, how long students in the class will have for each quiz, whether students are allowed any authorized materials (i.e. Calculator, Open Book, Notes, Dictionary, etc.), and how they would like the completed quiz returned back to them.If the DSS student receives his or her testing materials in a different, accessible format, the instructor is then required to submit the pop quiz well in advance in order to convert it into the appropriate format for the student.