Disability Information Student Handbook

Section Two: Using Disability Services and Accommodations

General Accommodations

Personal Aides

Under ADA and Section 504, a college is not required to provide personal services or to employ personal aides. Services generally considered to be personal include:  storing or administering medications, assiting with personal hygiene or personal clothing, mobility aides (including wheelchairs), assisting with food or drink, transportation to campus, or assisting in personal matters.  Typing, writing or proofing papers, or academic tutoring are also not required, although the college has tutoring resources and DSPS offers some basic skills tutoring through Learning Disabilities Support.

Guidelines on Personal Aides

  • DSPS does not provide personal aides or personal services to students with disabilities. 
  • Classroom attendance in courses at De Anza is generally restricted to enrolled students.
  • Students who wish to have a personally arranged aide accompany him or her in class must obtain prior authorization to do so.
    • Students who want to request such permission first contact their DSS counselor or LD Specialist.
    • Students must meet eligibility requirements for disability services. See Disability Information Student Handbook (DISH), Section 2, Using Disability Services, "The Basic Questions" for specific information.
    • Authorization is granted on a case-by-case basis.


DISH Building:

Last Updated: 10/31/16