Probation: What You Should Know

There are two types of probation: Academic and Progress. Here is what you need to know about both.

Academic Probation

You will be placed on Academic Probation if you have attempted at least 18 quarter units and earned a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0. You will be removed from probation once your cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher.

There are five levels of academic probation: Level 1, 2, 3, Pre-Dismissal (also known as Level 4) and Dismissal (sometimes called Level "6").

If you are placed on academic probation, you will remain on probation for each quarter (excluding summer) that your cumulative GPA is below 2.0. You will advance to the next level of academic probation in each consecutive quarter, unless you are able to bring your cumulative GPA to 2.0 or higher. If your GPA remains below 2.0 for five consecutive quarters, you will be placed on Dismissal status.

Students on probation will be sent an email each quarter informing them of their probation status. Depending on the level of probation, you may have a registration hold placed on your MyPortal account.  A student who has a hold cannot register, drop classes or request transcripts for transfer. The hold will be removed once you take certain steps, as required for your probationary status. These are listed below.

Here are the levels of academic probation and the required consequences for each. 

Level 1: Basic 

Students on Basic Probation have a registration hold until they attend and complete a Student Success Workshop. Students on Basic Probation are also encouraged to meet with a counselor to update their educational plan.

 Enroll in a Student Success Workshop

Level 2: Moderate 

Students on Moderate Probation do not receive a registration hold. However, they should review a current Student Success presentation before taking the Probation Quiz, which must be submitted to the Counseling and Advising Center. Students are encouraged to make an appointment with a counselor to update their student educational plan.

Level 3: Severe

Students on Severe Probation have a registration hold until they complete these steps:

  1. Download the Academic Progress Report form and have it signed by all instructors.
  2. Make an appointment and meet with a counselor to submit the Academic Progress Report form and complete a Plan of Action for Student Success.

Pre-dismissal (Level 4)

Students on Pre-dismissal Probation do not receive a registration hold. However, they must read and reply to an email from the college, acknowledging their pre-dismissal status and the implications of being on probation. Students are also encouraged to make an appointment to meet with a counselor in person.

Dismissal (Level "6")

Students on Pre-Dismissal status have a registration hold and must take a leave of absence from De Anza College for one quarter.

Your probation status may not be reflected accurately if you are currently enrolled at both De Anza and Foothill College, or if you have taken classes at both colleges in the past. If you are on probation status and these circumstances apply, you should make an appointment at De Anza's Counseling and Advising Center for assistance. 

Progress Probation

You will be placed on Progress Probation if you have attempted at least 18 quarter units and 50 percent or more of your grades are "W" (Withdrawn), "I" (Incomplete) or "NP" (No Pass).

  • This indicates insufficient progress in completing your courses, as opposed to poor GPA performance. 
  • If you are placed on Progress Probation, you will be notified of your status by email.
  • You will will be removed from progress probation when your course completion rate is at least 50 percent, which means the portion of W, I and NP grades is less than 50 percent. 

Important Financial Aid Information

Aside from the probation measures outlined here, you may also risk your eligibility for the California College Promise fee waiver or other financial aid if you don't show satisfactory academic progress. You'll find information about this on the Maintaining Eligibility page in the Financial Aid section of this website.

Back to Top