Foothill-De Anza Community College District (FHDACCD)
De Anza College
College Environmental Advisory Group (CEAG)
Mission Statement (5/28/03)
Environmental sustainability is critically important to the Foothill-De Anza Community College District, the State of California, and the nation. Efficient use of resources i central to this objective. The District is committed to stewardship of the environment and to reducing the District’s dependence on non-renewable energy sources. The Board of Trustees recognizes the importance of new initiatives to incorporate sustainable practices.
Such sustainable practices shall include:
- Incorporate the principles of energy efficiency, conservation and sustainability in all capital projects, operations and maintenance within budgetary constraints and programmatic requirements.
- Minimize the use of non-renewable energy sources by creating a portfolio approach to energy use which would include: on-site energy production (e.g., Photovoltaic), purchasing local renewable energy; purchasing ”green” power from the grid, and conservation measures that reduce energy consumption.
- Minimize greenhouse gas emissions on District facilities, and incorporate fuel-efficient vehicles and practices into the District’s fleet of vehicles.
- Promote alternate means and accessible modes of transportation to and from the campuses to achieve energy efficiency and sustainability.
- Minimize the amount of District-generated waste through an aggressive recycling program for all products which can be diverted from the landfill; toward this end, evaluate life cycles of products to determine how they will be disposed of at the end of their useful life.
- Utilize the District’s purchasing power to reduce packaging and to purchase green products.
- Establish and implement communications strategies that involve the active participation of administration, faculty, classified staff and students in understanding and promoting these Board values and practices.
The Board of Trustees will regularly review progress towards implementing Districtwide sustainable practices.
See Administrative Procedures 3214
Title 5 Sections 57100, 57121
Title 14, Div. 6, Chapter 4
Revised 2/22/05; 6/16/08
It is part of the mission of CEAG of De Anza College to insure that De Anza College meets the standards set by this policy.
To assist in the implementation of these standards in all aspects of daily operations, CEAG will continue to monitor and make recommendations on the following environmental performance criteria:
Materials and Resources
- Renewable energy
- Energy efficiency - set criteria for compliance with Title 24 and beyond on a case by case basis
- Building commissioning
- Site orientation to emphasize daylighting and efficiency
- Construction materials
- Classroom equipment
- Solid waste recyling
- Demolition materials recycling and diversion
Indoor Environmental Quality:
- Efficient use of water
- Waste water and storm water management
- Native and drought tolerant/resistant flora
- Indoor air quality
- Employee health and productivity
- Operations and maintenance
- Pollution prevention
- Sky friendly lighting
CEAG will be comprised of a representative from each of the following areas: Administration, Faculty, Staff, a Student and one at-large member.