How to apply for a UC TAG

A University of California (UC) Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) is a formal, written agreement that provides guaranteed admission to California community college students who meet and fulfill specific requirements.

Six UC campuses participate in the UC TAG - Davis, Irvine, Merced, Riverside, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz.  The campuses at Berkeley, Los Angeles, and San Diego do not participate in TAG.  Students may apply for a TAG to one UC campus per academic year. 

The UC provides the following to students who participate in TAG: early review of their academic records, early admission notification and specific guidance about major preparation and general education coursework.

A TAG is not required for applicants to be considered for admission to UC.  Students who are not eligible for a TAG may still apply to UC through the regular admissions process.

Step 1: TAP

All UC TAG applicants must use the UC TAP to complete the TAG application and UC admission application.

The UC Transfer Admission Planner (TAP) is a tool open to all CCC students who plan to transfer to UC. You can create a UC TAP account early in your academic career and enter your coursework (completed and planned) while tracking your academic progress towards meeting UC's minimum requirements.

Reporting Coursework/Gaps in Education

  • It is your responsibility to make sure the information reported on your TAG application is accurate and complete. Be sure to include courses that are currently in progress and planned for future terms. Do not work from memory! Refer to transcripts and grade reports.
  • You must report and explain any gaps in your education on the TAG application.

Step 2: TAG

UC Davis and UC Irvine TAG applicants are encouraged to review the criteria provided in the documents below to determine your eligibility for a UC TAG.

Note: UC Davis TAG (only)
UC Davis TAGs require an initial review by a DAC counselor prior to the UC review.  This review will be limited to the minimum TAG eligibility requirements and will be based solely on your self-reported information.  Transcripts and exam scores will not be referenced during the review process.  All TAG applications to UC Davis will be forwarded to its Undergraduate Admissions Office for consideration.
CAUTION: Do not rely on this preliminary DAC review to determine eligibility for a TAG or admission to UC.

After determining your UC TAG eligibility, submit your TAG application during the appropriate UC TAG application filing period.

  • Fall: September 1 - 30
  • Spring: May 1 - 31 (UC Merced only)

Monitor your UC TAP Account for messages:

  • Check the "My Messages" tab on your UC TAP Account regularly during the TAG admission cycle. UC and/or (for UC Davis TAG only) DAC TAG reviewers may communicate important and time-sensitive messages which may require your prompt response.


If you submit a TAG application, you must also submit a separate UC Application for Undergraduate Admission during the appropriate UC application filing period.

The UC application opens for fall transfer admission on August 1.

  • Fall: November 1 - 30
  • Spring: October 1 - 31 (UC Merced only)

UC Application Resources:

Questions about the UC TAG?

UC TAG advising may be available to students participating in select Learning Communities programs. Contact a program-specific counselor or academic adviser for more information.

NOTICE:  Advising services may be limited during hours of operation for the programs/services listed above based on available staffing.

DISCLAIMER: The final responsibility for successful transfer rests with the student.  The information posted on this website is designed to assist students in obtaining the most accurate transfer-related information possible.  However, this information is subject to change without notice, which may subsequently impact admission to a transfer college or university.

Students are encouraged to meet as early as possible in their academic careers and periodically with a DAC counselor or academic adviser to develop a Student Education Plan and with a transfer college or university admissions representative to confirm their choice of classes.

Back to Top