About General Education

Bachelor Degrees and Associate Degrees are comprised of two main components: general education (GE) requirements and major requirements. General education coursework include courses in subject areas such as English, Mathematics, Arts and Humanities, Social and Behavioral Sciences, and Physical and Biological Sciences.

GE Options for Transfer

California State University General Education-Breadth (CSUGE)

Students who want to transfer to a CSU campus may complete the CSUGE pattern to satisfy lower-division general education requirements.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The requirements for CSUGE Certification by DAC differ from the requirements identified by the CSU and from information published on www.assist.org.  In order to qualify for CSUGE certification at DAC, students must complete the CSUGE requirements as stated in the DAC Catalog.

Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)

Students who are not sure if they want to transfer to a UC or CSU campus may complete the IGETC to satisfy lower-division general education requirements.

NOTE: IGETC is not recommended for most high-unit majors such as engineering, biological, physical, and natural sciences as these majors require completion of extensive major preparation coursework. Meet with a DAC counselor or academic adviser for more information.


GE for Associate Degree

Students planning to earn an Associate in Arts (A.A.) or Associate in Science (A.S.) degree from De Anza College must complete the GE/Breadth for A.A./A.S. degree requirements.

Transfer to CSU

In addition to preparing students for specific professional and occupational goals, another purpose of a baccalaureate degree from the CSU is to provide students with a broad education. The CSU emphasizes the importance of the arts and sciences as the foundation of the baccalaureate degree and, therefore, requires all students, regardless of major, to complete a program of general education (GE) as part of the baccalaureate degree.

The GE program consists of both lower-division and upper-division coursework. Only lower-division GE courses may be completed at DAC. California community college students have two system-wide options that will satisfy CSU lower-division GE requirements prior to transfer - the CSU

View GE options for CSU transfer

Transfer to UC

All UC baccalaureate degrees include a set of GE/Breadth requirements. Students may use coursework completed at De Anza to satisfy lower-division GE requirements prior to transferring to the UC. All UC campuses recommend, and some majors may require, transfer students to complete all or as many GE courses as possible before matriculating to UC. At De Anza, students may choose between several options to satisfy UC GE requirements prior to transfer.

View GE options for UC transfer

DISCLAIMER: The final responsibility for successful transfer rests with the student.  The information posted on this website is designed to assist students in obtaining the most accurate transfer-related information possible.  However, this information is subject to change without notice, which may subsequently impact admission to a transfer college or university.

Students are encouraged to meet as early as possible in their academic careers and periodically with a DAC counselor or academic adviser to develop a Student Education Plan and with a transfer college or university admissions representative to confirm their choice of classes.

Back to Top