students on lawn with laptopsHow to Apply

At De Anza College, we've made it easy to apply for admission and qualify for priority enrollment, so you can get the classes you need to achieve your goals.

All it takes is a few simple steps ...

Apply Online

The Apply Now button will take you to OpenCCC, an online application system used by De Anza and other California community colleges.


  • If you want to qualify for priority enrollment, remember to do the following  when you fill out the application:
    • Declare a major (not "undecided") and
    • Select a goal of transfer, degree or certificate 
  • For more help, visit our page of Tips for Completing the Application .

Complete Placement

De Anza will assess most students on the basis of their U.S. high school transcripts and GPA, so they can be placed in the right Language Arts and Math courses for their level of knowledge. In some cases, the college may use placement test results or other information.

Once you've applied for admission, you will receive a welcome letter with your De Anza student identification number, known as a campuswide ID or CWID. Use that number to log into MyPortalthen click the Registration tab and click "View My Placement Results." 

If you don't see a placement in MyPortal, we may not have your high school transcript on file.

You may also see a notification on MyPortal if you need to take placement tests or provide more information. You can learn more by visiting the Assessment Center website.

Note: Completing the placement process for Language Arts and Math is an important step in qualifying for priority enrollment

Incoming transfer students: If you've completed English, ESL, math, chemistry or biology courses at another college or received qualifying scores on high school AP exams, see our page on Prerequisite Clearance.

Complete Orientation

If you're a new student at De Anza, you must participate in a short orientation session – either online or in person – to get important information that will help you succeed. As part of orientation, you will get help with creating an abbreviated educational plan for your first one or two quarters. Orientation is also a state requirement to get priority enrollment.

New students: If you need to register for classes before you complete orientation, follow the guidelines on our First Quarter Classes webpage.

Create an Educational Plan

An educational plan is a road map for achieving your goals. As part of orientation, new students will get help with developing an abbreviated ed plan for their first one or two quarters. Continuing students should have a comprehensive ed plan for three or more quarters. You can create a plan using DegreeWorks, an online tool that you'll find on MyPortal. Check with one of Our Counselors for assistance.

You're Ready to Go!

Once you've completed these steps, you will get priority enrollment to register for classes. See the buttons below.

  • Have a disability? Our Disability Support Services office can assist you.
  • High school students: If you want to take college classes while you are still in high school, use the OpenCCC application, but be sure to visit the Concurrent Students webpage for additional steps.
  • International students: You may need to use a different application. Please visit our International Student Programs webpage for more information.
  • Undocumented students: Use the OpenCCC application, but be sure to review our AB 540 Guide, which explains how to request exemption from out-of-state tuition.
  • Veterans: Use the OpenCCC application and visit the Veteran Services webpage for additional steps.
Back to Top